michael ackerman

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by temujin, Aug 7, 2007.

1. temujin

temujin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hey, anyone here familiar with the work of michael ackerman? i discovered his work from his photographs for the album "telegraphs in negative/mouths trapped in static" by set fire to flames. wonderful, gritty, grainy visions. its this type of stuff that gets me really excited about photography! i found some more of his work at the following site: http://www.agencevu.com/fr/photographes/default.asp?Photographes=1
    my question is: does anyone know where i can find more of his work? i just ordered a book by him, "end time city", which is some of his work in benares. where else can i find his work? and is there anyone more familiar with his work who can share some insights? thanks.

2. agenkin

agenkin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The page at Agence Vu, to which you linked above, has his bibliography (see towards the end of it). Here are a couple of inks:
    an interview
    Igor Posner, whose work is not dissimilar to that of Ackerman's.

I would be interested in technical discussion, as well; I'm curious what film and developer combination can help achieve such visual effect.

3. Guillaume Zuili

Guillaume Zuili Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He is a friend from VU. Most of his stuff is at the galerie VU. He now lives between NY and Krackow. His book of Benares is quite amazing, I met him when he showed up his prints for the first time in VU. Quite a blast. Right after that he had the book set by Delpire in France.
    You can look at Antoine d'Agata, he left VU for Magnum and has the same kind of vision.
    G.

4. desertintheshape

desertintheshape Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    antoine d'agata / ackerman style camera etc

yeah, i LOVE antoine d'agata.
    I like ackerman's work as well, and I guess you could say they share a similar style but to me d'agata blows it away....
    now my question is DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT KIND OF CAMERA HE USES?!?!?!
    i have searched hi and lo and nothing....
    i would even be interested in knowing what ackerman uses...

5. prado333

prado333 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    michael ackerman cameras

He uses holga cameras, leica m and a widelux panoramic