michael massaia - interesting pt/pd work

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by el wacho, Mar 11, 2010.

1. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very impressive - nice cool-tone platinum prints. Would love to see the originals.

3. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doug- were you looking at the same website? unless my monitor is way off kilter (I doubt it - I calibrate it), everything on that site is warmtone. Also, everything there is a digigraph - the manipulations are obvious, and he's offering them in a variety of sizes.

4. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    he states that the Palinum prints are made with cot320

5. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Scott, I guess cool-tone is in the eye of the monitor; but my Mac, which is calibrated via PS, suggests more grey scale tones in his images. Definitely not a Palladium or dev'ed in warm potassium oxalate, at least not the 1st two portfolios.
    As to workflow, I'd suspect digital negatives since his camera appears to be only 8X10.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  6. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's the paper. The question raised is if the prints were made with large format negatives, or with digital negatives.

7. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    sorry, didn't understand it that way.

8. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Considering that, in his bio, he's shooting with a large format camera, why don't we just assume that is what he used for the images and discuss, instead, how beautiful they are?

9. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but to me the night exposures don't look realistic - they look manipulated in photoshop. They look and feel to me like he did multiple scans at different scanning exposures and then composited them to make digital negatives, which he has to do (at least the digital negative bit) in order to offer prints from 9x12 to 20x30- if these were straight prints from the in-camera negative, then they'd be 8x10 only.

10. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He says that he doesn't do digital manipulation. He could be lying, or he could be telling the truth.

11. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It's easy to see that the some of the prints have been worked pretty hard under the exposure lamp. I wouldn't hold that against him as most people would never notice. Especially those who would tend to buy the work. It's easy to nit pick work and usually comes from those who would never buy a print.

He has a good eye and is getting a pretty good result for what he is trying to do with the work.

12. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He says he doesn't composite digitally. I take that to mean he doesn't combine multiple images. That doesn't mean he doesn't control negative density digitally. Frankly, if you're going to the bother of making digitally enlarged negatives, you'd be a fool not to. Even Pt/Pd has limits as to the tonal range it will represent, so why not tailor your images to fit if you can?

13. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

I agree Robert....interesting images.