Microphen Question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by gnashings, May 31, 2005.

1. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some Microphen mixed up and stored in plastic bottles, which I squeezed until there was no air in them before tightening the caps. The date on the caps is Feb 10 of this year... Should I risk using it? Or is it a case of better losing some old microphen than a roll of film? Thanks for your help,

Peter.

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Personally I have found that Microphen (and other stock solutions) keep fine in full tightly sealed bottles for at least 6 months.

3. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must second that.

G

4. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What you really want are glass bottles that you can squeeze the air out of! Most plastics wil let air in and in time will ruin the dev. I use glass bottles and fill up the extra space with glass marbles.

5. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If using glass bottles, make sure the caps are made of PET or PVC: the usual LDPE or HDPE caps are not sufficiently gas tight, or make a PVC seal to fit inside the cap. Cling-film is usually PVC and can apparently be used even though it is very thin (ref: http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/plastic.html).

Stock solutions spoil faster than concentrates, but I have had stock ID-11 in 2 litre fizzy drink bottles (PET) be fine for 12 months. Not tried microphen, but I would expect it is fine after only 3 months.

Cheers, Bob.

6. Seele

Seele Member

I have found Microphen stock solution has quite remarkable keeping quality; I usually buy a large pack, mix it up and put them in smaller bottles, say half-litre ones, and they last for years with no adverse effect at all.

7. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One more thing, if in doubt, do a test roll before committing anything important.