Mike Johnston's new "blog"

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Jim Chinn, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike Johnston has started an on-line blog titled "The Online Phtographer".

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/

Besides Johnston, the blog includes contributions from others, some of the names I recognize from the LF website forum and others much more recognizable such as John Sexton.

The postings cover both analog and digital subjects. All in all it seems to be a worthwhile read every day.

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry, but who is Mike Johnston?

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    He's a longtime photo columnist. His work has appeared in various publications, and he had an online column called "The Sunday Morning Photographer" that was on a few different sites. I subscribed to his newsletter for a while, but I haven't seen it for some time. He's an intelligent guy, and he writes well.

4. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike wrote the "Sunday Morning Photographer" column for photonet and Luminous Landscape and also has a column in the English mag "Black & White Photography". He's been around writing about photography and editing various publications for a few decades.

I used to enjoy his articles, and agreed with almost all his photogaphic points (I guess that's why I enjoyed the articles). Most recently, his writings have taken a decidedly "dark side" turn and he has embraced digital imaging. I haven't read anything by him in a while now. I'm still waiting for my copy of his first book that I ordered from him a couple of years ago.

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks guys!! I'm afraid that I am a bit slow knowing who people in certain parts of the photographic world are (especially in B&W). It took me forever to figure out who "Michael and Paula" are. :tongue:

6. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So far, so good. This will be a regular stop in the blogosphere for me.

7. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He was one of the original editors of the much missed Camera and Darkroom magazine and I think he edited Photo Techniques several years ago besides his various current on-line projects and columns he contributes to Black and White Photography Magazine (UK flavor).

I think he primarily works with digital tools these days, but has always advocated the need for continuity of traditional and alternative processes.
    Regardless of the process, he always has an interesting and fresh take on all things photographic.

8. cao

cao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    He's probably one of the reasons my street camera is a Spottie with the 50/1.4 SMC Tak. He gave a nice pointer to a cheap and sweet combo. I'm glad he's blogging as I miss the SMP column.

9. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is SMP officially defunct?

I always enjoyed Johnston's no-nonsense, practical take on things photographic. He's also capable of seeing what might work for others, even though it may not suit his way of working. So his reviews and discussions are instructive for everyone, and not just a reflection of his own style and methodology.

Lee

10. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, he shut down SMP a while ago with the intention of moving on.

11. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

He writes well and has a lot of common sense. He and Bill Pierce are my two favorite photo writers.

Now if he would just send me the book I spent $14.95 on three years ago, life would be perfect...