Mild Telephoto recommendations for Busch Pressman Model 'D'?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jspillane, Dec 2, 2013.

1. jspillane

jspillane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've searched around both here at the Large Format Photography forums, and while I've seen a few possibilities I've been keeping my eye on, I thought it might be worth while to inquire here as well.

I am rapidly becoming more involved in large format shooting after focusing primarily on MF for sometime. The primary reason for this is that in my current living situation (small apartment in Brooklyn), MF enlargements are not an easy option, and I do not find scans satisfactory (at least not the scans I can afford to achieve). I have taken to contact printing 4x5 which, although small, provides some kind of finished product which I enjoy, and leaves me with boxes of negatives I can revisit down the road.

My primary LF camera is a Busch Pressman Model 'D', and I have been working with great satisfaction with the lens that came on it, a Wollensak Raptar 135mm. For most work in other formats, I prefer a mild tele lens (120-135 on MF, 75-90 on 35mm). I know LF is a bit different in what one can do with a given focal length, but I am trying to find something roughly equivalent that will mount and focus on a Pressman 'D'. I think this will be in the 210-270 range, as anything longer than that likely won't work well.

For reference, bellows draw on the camera is about 12 inches, lens boards are quite small and probably can only fit copal #0 and #1 shutters and smaller. I'd like some movements but I would accept less for a more compact design, superior speed or performance. While obviously I am looking for myself, I'd love to get a general list of what works out there for any other Model 'D' owners looking for options...

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and experience!

2. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took my first shots with my new-to-me Tele Arton 270mm the other day. Damn fine lens, nice and sharp even with HP5 in Rodinal.

4. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the tele arton will probably not fit the pressman d due to its large rear element.
    The 10 inch tele raptar/optar will work fine.

Other lenses that will fit:
    210mm convertible symmar
    210mm sironar
    **the 210mm symmar-s will not fit, as the rear element too large.
    210mm g-claron
    240mm g-claron <-reccomended
    8" or 10" dagor should be fine if in a rapax shutter or ilex #3.(i think)

Also beware of wide lenses, the f8 90mm super angulon will barely fit, you can kinda angle the rear element in.
    But a f5.6 or f4.5 90mm wide will be way too big.

5. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seeing as I've got it handy, thought I'd grab a ruler:
    The rear element of my 270/5.5 Tele-Arton is exactly 50mm outside diameter at the rear element, and 30mm from edge to lensboard.
    For comparison, my Symmar-S 180/5.6 is also 50mm diameter, but 20mm from edge to lensboard.
    And I know we weren't talking wide angles, but my 90.8 SuperAngulon is next to me and is 57mm diameter and 35mm deep from lensboard (wider apertures are going to be even bigger)

No idea about a pressman, don't have one...

6. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darin, are you thinking of the 2x3 (Model C) or 4x5 (Model D) Pressman? I ask because the 4x5er has a 3" square board and according to Schneider the rear cell of a 270/5.5 Tele-Arton's OD is 51 mm. There should be plenty of room.

7. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the low end of that range, a telephoto design might not be necessary, which would make movements a lot more realistic. What about a small non-tele lens in the 200-210mm range, something like the 203mm Ektar or 210mm G-Claron?

-NT

8. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used the 210 Geronar on mine with complete satisfaction.

9. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the rear element of the tele-arton is 51mm, it should be fine. It is not the size of the lensboard of the pressman D that is the problem, but the throat of the front standard where the rear element must fit inside.

From my notes, the maxium lens diameter that will fit is about 57mm.

Darin

10. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    where did you find the OD of the rear cell? I was looking on their site and did not see it for the symmar s.

11. jspillane

jspillane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the many great ideas, I'm searching around and keeping my eyes peeled. 240mm g-claron sounds very good. I am a little worried that 210 won't be telephoto enough for my purposes; my girlfriend has a Ilex-Caltar 210mm on her monorail and while it is certainly a step up I wouldn't mind a little more reach. That being said, I'd love to be able to close the camera with the lens mounted, but that may be a pipe dream.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Wollensak tele-raptar 10" 5.6? It looks like it will fit and I've seen scattered positive things said about it, but limited serious discussion.

12. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    10"/5.6 TeleRaptar/TeleOptar? I had one years ago, didn't like it and replaced it with a process lens.

10"/5.6 TeleRaptar/TeleOptar? They were the longest standard issue lens for 2x3 Graphics, second-longest standard issue for 4x5 Graphics. Most of the comments about them on www.graflex.org are very positive.

I may have had a clinker. Its rarely possible to draw conclusions from a sample of 1.

13. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    15" Graflex tele-Optar. I've only used my a handful of times but it's always been a pleasure to work with.

14. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Big lens though. I recently bought one---haven't shot with it yet because I don't have a lensboard to fit, but when I unpacked it I experienced a certain amount of "OMG, what have I done?" angst. I guess it's not really intended for handholding, and in the context of carrying a tripod around it doesn't add that much bulk, but it's a pretty intimidating hunk of metal.

-NT

15. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The only downside is that you need either a Speed or similar press camera with a focal plane shutter. Weight aside, they are excellent portrait lenses.

16. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine actually came in a shutter. Alphax, I think. I don't know if they could originally be bought that way or if someone did a retrofit.

-NT

17. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They were offered in shutter and in barrel, as the customer wanted.

18. Kawaiithulhu

Kawaiithulhu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've recently grabbed a 10" Tele-Optar that came in this huge Graphex shutter, I've seen them listed both ways like Mr. Fromm said.

The jury is still out on mine, glass is in great shape but I haven't developed the test 4x5 sheets yet. Staring at the GG with a loupe is nice, though, the f5.6 is nice and bright to work with.