Milky fixer?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by pen s, May 15, 2014.

1. pen s

pen s Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just mixed up some Sprint Rapid Fixer concentrate at 1:4 and added the listed amount of alum to make a hardening fix for film. The solution came out slightly milky in apperance. There was some white precipitate in the concentrate that I filtered before mixing. The Sprint is about 6 years old and is in an airless cubetainer (kind of like 'box-o-wine' comes in). But I have noticed some air has come into the container. Every other time I've mixed film strength fixer I remember it being clear. I tried it out on 2 rolls of 35mm and it cleared the film in a normal fashion but I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this sort of thing.

2. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Might have mixed it too warm, and it is problably decomposing fro age. Does it smell "stinky"? That's the sulfur coming out of compound. I always throw in about 1/2 ounce of sodium sulfite with old fixers I mix up.

3. pen s

pen s Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No sulfur smell. The water was filtered tap water at 75F. Negs came out clean so I guess I'll just watch it but contine to use it. If I run out of the Sprint fixer or it no longer works I'll switch to Ilford liquid concentrate in the 500ml size, order 2 and mix one for film and one for prints. I ordered a dozen plain amber bottles, 32oz. size from U-Line corp. and store made up chems in them.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. pen s

pen s Member

Shooter:
    35mm