Minimalism in photography/ Discussing Vicky Dasilva photographs

Discussion in 'Discussing a ****** Photograph' started by Jim Chinn, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found this site linked to at the Gallery Hopper web blog. In a recent thread someone asked about contemporary photographers working in a minimalist way and good portion of this work would fit that definition.

I can't seem to be able to upload a specific image off her site, so here is a link. If anyone wants to upload one please do.

http://www.vickidasilva.com/

2. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny, it's the same idea I had when I took the Brownie shots that I have in my gallery, but she did so in a much more accomplished way.

I like the graffitis, I think they are the ones that work the best with the idea.

3. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very interesting. I also like the graffiti. I think the later work is more minimalistic though.

4. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A lot of the minimalism is a straight rip off of Mark Rothko, I'm not too impressed

5. Ray Heath

Ray Heath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    g'day Jim, they don't appeal to me, nice swirls and colours, but not a good use of photography

6. bruce terry

bruce terry Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The work on this site comes across way more maxed-out than minimalist. A hopped-up 'photographic' image isn't my idea of spare, of minimum.

7. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are minimalist in that the components of the flourescent lighted works consist of simple color and form. I think her work is currently being shown along with Dan Flavin neon sculptures somewhere in NYC.

For those not familiar with Flavin, he is considered one of the major minimalist influences from the 1960s.

here is an example of his work for anyone interested.
    http://www.artseensoho.com/Art/LEOCASTELLI/flavin98/flavin.html

8. spiralcity

spiralcity Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I loved the covered bridge shots. These are great pics. Thanks for posting the link.

9. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    EXCEPT - that flavin's work MIGHT be considered Minimal-ISM only through the 'minimal' use of material in his medium of choice. I see this work as being more about graphics maybe... about line and form. There's certainly a 'performance' or 'ritual' aspect that complicates any discussion of it though.

10. S.F. Sorrow

S.F. Sorrow Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Those photographs look a lot more psychedelic then minimal! Still, I think Vicki did an excellent job executing the play of time and color. What sort of fluorescent tube did she use that doesn't need to be plugged into AC power?

11. rudolf

rudolf Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also, I cannot say it's minimalistic photography.
    It's rather an abstraction "art".
    I don't like it. :smile:

Well, anyway isn't Kenna's work best example of minimalism in photography?

12. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As said this looks more of abstract work to me than minimalistic. When I say abstract work I don't mean art though. To me art touches the soul, makes you think. This work is just... sort of an intersting experiment.
    Simple compositions and strong message is what I call minimalistic art and the above reference to Kenna is a very good one.