Minolta 35mm SLR Question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by SilverGlow, Feb 10, 2010.

1. SilverGlow

SilverGlow Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What is the model name for the last flagship Minolta 35mm SLR made? I want to buy their pro best latest model on eBay but I'm not sure what model to look for.

Please advise, and thanks!

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're referring to the X- series cameras I would say it was the X-700. But if you want the best ever I would go with either the XD-11 or an sr-T101.

3. SilverGlow

SilverGlow Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Chris, the X series...were they pro bodies, and if so, did they make a grip for them? Is the X series better then the Maxxum line? Thanks for the response!

4. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Maxxum 9 was the last pro camera they made. Its a big metal bodied heavy pro camera. The X700 was the last manual focus SLR that Minolta made.

5. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are as many opinions on which is better as there have been users over the years. I have never owned, let alone used a Maxxum of any sort. But I would pit my sr-T101 against any camera out there any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And if you use a hand held meter, you don't need batteries. Completely mechanical.

They were pro bodies at one point. And when I was shooting weddings with A Moment In Time I was using an XG-M which makes that a pro camera, I suppose.

As to a grip, I had a flash bracket. I am not aware of an add-on grip. Never one listed in my Minolta literature that I ever saw.

6. Carl V

Carl V Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not a Minolta expert, but I think both the Dynax 7 and Dynax 9 were two of the top models (known as Maxxum 7 and 9 in the USA). The 9 was classed as a professional body and this was released in the late 1990s. If I'm not mistaken, the 7 version came out a little later but couldn't honestly tell you the differences between the two with regards to specification. My understanding with Minolta was that AF SLR's which had the figure '9' was generally regarded as a pro-model.

With their earlier generation of AF cameras, the Dynax 9xi was considered a pro-model and this was available around the early 1990s. Going back further to the late-1980s, they had a model called Dynax 9000 (or Maxxum 9000 in the USA) and this was the top of the range camera at the time, the others being the 7000 and 5000.

There'll probably be somebody more knowledgeable on Minolta's who can explain a little better.

7. SilverGlow

SilverGlow Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys...yes, I'm looking for their bestest, AF, flagship model/s that they themselves designate as Professional grade...I want to buy it for a friend that has a ton of Minolta lenses for his Sony DSLR...he's got the film itch and I intend to help him scratch it ;-)

8. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, I have used both the manual focus bodies and auto focus bodies of Minolta extensively. You need to decide which one you're after, because they are two very different beasts.
    The Maxxum 9 was the pinnacle of development in its day. Honestly, even the Nikon F6 really doesn't have anything on the Minolta Maxxum 9. Weatherproof sealing, all metal construction w/ 1/12000 max carbon fiber shutter, etc. Amazing sounding shutter really. And I've never seen a brighter viewfinder on a camera. However...it's big. heavy. screams PRO louder than you might want...and with the lenses matching up to Sony Alpha digital bodies, the AF Minolta lenses are no longer a bargain like they once were. You could easily get a Maxxum 7 with nearly all the capability of the 9 (plus some extras!) for half the price.

Now...if you want legendary feel, small ROKKOR primes with wonderful bokeh, smooth tonal transition, nearly Leica-ish quality...you want a Minolta manual focus body such as the XD-11 (XD/XD-7). Maybe even an X-700 for a back up body and for the TTL metering. For what it's worth, the X-500 (X-570) has some improvements over the X-700, and is usually even less money. What it lacks is the "P" mode. Whoop-de-de as we would say...do you need "P" mode? :D
    Two resources I would check out: www.rokkorfiles.com for the manual focus gear. Read the camera section thouroughly. These are top notch performers that were NOT cheap in their day. But...BARGAIN now! And the lenses...man, there is just not a better set of lenses for the money these days than ROKKORS.
    Then I would take a look at www.mhohner.de and check out the camera section and lens section on the left hand side of the page. It will take you to an entire (rather large) spread-sheet of the whole Minolta AF camera line, plus the new Sony digital AF line. You can see the difference. Auto everything, every whiz-bang feature imaginable...
    Then decide if you want to go with the AF line or the MF line of Minolta...
    And come back with your decision, and we will be more than happy to give our opinions!!! :D On which one(s) you should buy!
    Good luck and happy shooting. Long live Minolta gear and Kodak Film.
    Jed

9. Carl V

Carl V Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fully agree with you there - a fantastic camera. I remember my uncle owning one when I was a kid, and he kept it for many, many years. I'm sure he still has it.

10. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ah, you posted just when I was typing! :D

Check out the Minolta Maxxum 7 or the Maxxum 9 (Also termed Dynax or Alpha in other parts of the world) and see which he'd rather have. I've owned multiple of each body. Honestly, I usually shot more with the 7 because it's smaller and lighter...but both are amazing technology.
    (For what it's worth I'm back to all manual Minolta gear now, though.)

Have a look here: for Minolta's old pages on these AF wonder bodies: http://ca.konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/camera-pus/index.html
    Best,
    Jed

11. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If he is planning on using his Sony lenses, he may need to get the slightly smaller Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum 7 rather than the 9 model. The 9 is larger and "professional", but it lacks the SSM AF system used in Sony zoom lenses. I use the 9 and the Sony A850, but since I only use the prime lenses, I didn't need the SSM AF. If he gets the 9, he will only be able to use manual focus on SSM lenses. These lenses are the CZ 16-35mm, CZ 24-70mm, 70-200mm G, 70-300mm G, and 70-400mm G. Everything else will work in AF mode on all Minolta AF film cameras.

12. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    True, Greg. However, if he wants to drop about $350 +/- depending on current exchange rate, he can have the 9 upgraded at Runtime in Germany for ADI / SSM capability.
    I did a whole write-up on Dyxum.com about it, when 5 of us got together and sent our cameras over. A spendy little venture, but kind of neat.
    Best,
    Jed

13. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    From what I understand, the process is more expensive now and takes a very long time to get through customs in Germany. I considered it, but it was going to cost more than the camera itself after shipping, customs, and VAT added on.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    XD-11
    SRT-101
    The glass is great too.

16. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    But the OP is looking for an auto focus camera to use with Minolta AF and Sony lenses they already own.

17. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If we were talking about manual focus Minolta cameras, I think the camera to name would be the XK, if I am remembering the name correctly. But we're not talking about manual focus cameras. The question was about Minolta autofocus cameras.

19. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We should probably have the thread name changed to include AF in the title.

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where in the original question does it say autofocus ?. It was the XK in the US only Charles the X1 in Japan and the XM in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
  21. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a look at post #7.

22. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, I remember the XK was competing with the Nikon F2 and Canon F1 at the time.

23. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To summarize for the original poster, the Maxxum or Dynax 9 was the last autofocus camera Minolta made specifically aimed at Pros. However, the Maxxum / Dynax 7 was in fact produced later than the 9 and has the ability to use all the fancy Sony lenses whereas the 9 can only use some of the very fanciest in manual focus mode. Thus, a Maxxum 7 would be the "latest and greatest" Minolta Maxxum AF body, the Maxxum 9 the latest "Pro" body. Both are outstanding technology.

Me? I settled on a Maxxum 800si and I couldn't be happier. I think the flash can be seen in the next county...

As far as manual focus goes, everyone has a fav. Kind of a silly argument, actually: it's the glass that counts and many of Minolta's lenses, particularly their primes, are superb and work on all those cameras. :smile:

Yeah, I know: kicking the beehive. I'm subversive, I can't help it.

Mike

24. photoncatcher

photoncatcher Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was dumb enough to sell al my srt-101 gear for a song to a coworker when I inherited a complete maxxum kit from my late brother. Nice camera, but I really don't think the lenses are any where as sharp as the older Rokkors, or the vivitar series one zoom I had. The 101 was always "pro" enough for me, and I shot miles of film through it, and made lots of $$$$ with it too. Oh, and it spent 4 years in the USAF with me shoting evrey day.

25. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As many others have said the Maxxum 9 and 7 were the last top of the line film bodies made by Minolta. I love them both and when they came out they really showed how Minolta was at the top of their came in terms of camera design and performance. For my money, I'd go with the 7 as the 9 was a bit too much of a beast for my needs.

The timing of these two models was really unfortunate as I seem to remember they came out right as the digital craze was gaining speed. Minolta was clearly putting more marketing dollars in its early DiMage digital models and these two truely excellent cameras got completely drowned out and ignored.

26. SilverGlow

SilverGlow Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is sad too because those DiMage DSLR's are absolute noisy craap. It seems the Maxxum 7 is the last SLR AF flagship Pro body to get....thanks everyone!