Minolta Autocord Shutter Repair?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Martin G, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Martin G

Martin G Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there a "how to" on this somewhere?
    Or, failing that, where's the best place in the USA to have one repaired?
    The one I have is stuck in the closed position. The winder won't move although if I press the little sliding button I can crank the winder backwards. Normally this cocks the shutter. It feels like it does cock the shutter and when the release is pushed there is a soft click but the shutter does not open and close.

2. kfleming

kfleming Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A good option is Karl Bryan in Oregon. Email at karl-kathy@verizon.net. He specializes in Autocords. His work on mine was excellent, and included collimating the lens and repairing the broken focusing knob.

Keith

3. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second Karl Bryan- excellent! Have use him several times.

Rick

4. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's an excellent chance that your problem is not a broken shutter. I had one Autocord that jammed this way, and it was part of the shutter cocking mechanism, a piece that encircles and rotates around the shutter barrel, that was gummed up and not returning after winding.

Talk to Karl Bryan. A quality cleaning will probably fix it, and he's the guy for it.

5. Martin G

Martin G Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the advice folks! I'll contact Mr. Bryan.

6. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let us know how it goes.

Mike

7. mistercody

mistercody Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd also like to recommend the services of Karl Bryan. I just got my Autocord back from him. He went above and beyond my expectations for the repair, and my camera is as good as new. He gave me very thorough information as to what was wrong and what he did to fix it. His turnaround time was fast and he charged a very reasonable price. This is the go to guy for Autocord work.

Cody

8. heart of stone

heart of stone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine had exactly the same problem. I was certain that the shutter was jammed. Fortunately we have experienced service guys where I live.

10. JohnBoyX570

JohnBoyX570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just acquired an autocord whose focus lever moves freely but whose lenses are stuck in place. I've taken off the hood and can see a greyish ring spinning as I adjust the focus.. but again the lenses stay fixed. Any ideas ?

11. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    JohnBoy, it could be that the ring has come undone from the actual focus helix. The ring is just that- a ring with a lever coming out. There are three set screws that attach it to the outer ring of the actual lens moving system. Worst case is that the grey ring has snapped, and this is most likely what has happened. Removing the focus scale (bottom) and focus hood (top) gives you more looks inside.

Remember to reinstall the focus scale screws because the tap holes go through to the film chamber and will cause light leaks.

The only way I know to get access involves a full disassembly of the lens plate, including removing the shutter, etc. Take photos and keep notes on the arrangement of the various rings and washers that live under the shutter body. I make index/scratch marks on various pieces to realign for assembly. You might find small marks in the outer helix that indicates where the set screws had been set at the factory- helpful for getting infinity focus again.