Minolta Enlarging Lens, Need Info

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Zathras, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi y'all,
    My old 75mm EL Nikkor lens decided to grow fungus, so I need to replace it. I have a chance to buy a lens that was made by Minolta, at what seems to be a reasonable price. The lens is a 80mm ƒ 5.6 Minolta C.E. Rokkor. Does anybody out there know anything about Minolta enlarging lenses?

Thank you,

Mike Sullivan

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005
  2. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never owned one, and they are uncommon, but they have excellent reputations.

3. noblebeast

noblebeast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Go for it! Minolta enlarging lenses are one of the best values out there - every bit as good as Nikon and they can be had for half the price. I use a 50mm Minolta enlarging lens and have nothing but good things to say about it - high quality construction, sharp all the way to the corners, and I got it in it's original case and box for $25 U.S.

Joe

4. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought one on eBay several months ago and I love it. I think it is as good as anything I have used. It is a 6 element lens, which means it should be better than the 75mm Nikkor and about the same quality as the 80mm Nikkor. It isn't the fastest, but should cost a whole bunch less than an f4 80mm from Schneider or Rodenstock. I think I paid about $40 for mine, maybe more like $30.

Paul

5. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Here's an ancient Chinese secret: Minolta glass is actually preferred by Japanese photographers! Rokkor lenses are great taking and printing lenses.

6. fingel

fingel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an 80mm Rokkor enlarging lens, it is a killer lens. I wouldn't trade it for anything -- well maybe a 90mm apo-symmar HM, but it is as sharp and contrasty as anything else out there. If you can find one, buy it. :smile:

7. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks For Your Help

Thank you to everybody who replied. Judging by your answers, the Minolta lens seems to be worth buying. I'll give it a try and see. I figure that I can't go wrong for the price I'll be paying. Once again, Thanks

Mike Sullivan