Minolta Hi-Matic E battery questions

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by bostonwolf, May 23, 2008.

1. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm wondering what is the best option to replace the old mercury PX640 batteries for this camera? Unlike my Hi-Matic 9 it won't fire without batteries.

2. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You could buy or make yourself an adapter.

3. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A quick search indicates the Hi-Matic E takes 2 x 1.35v batteries. In other cameras of that vintage with that voltage requirement I've had good success using regular zinc-air "hearing aid" batteries, normally available at pharmacies and department stores. I believe my cameras take the "625" size equivalent, but I don't have it in front of me right now. You can also get photo-specific zinc-air batteries such as the "WeinCell", which is supposed to last longer than the hearing aid version, but the last one I bought was DOA, so hearing aid batteries it is :smile:

If they don't fit properly you can pad them with tin foil or springs or something else conductive.

4. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. gemditto

gemditto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Question, how do you remove the batteries? I have a Hi-Matic E and the batteries are still in it so I hope it works.

6. Tom Hicks

Tom Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Zinc airs ( hearing aid batteries ) have work well in both of mine for years.