Minolta MC 35mm/1.8, Slow Diaphram

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Mr.3D, May 4, 2010.

1. Mr.3D

Mr.3D Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Greetings,

Have a Minolta 35mm/1.8 with a diaphram thats slow to open and close. Anything I can do myself to make it snappy again

Thanks,

Bill

2. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    awsome lens - sounds like oil either on the diaphragm blades or stop down mechanism - only way to fix it is to stip and clean the lens...

If you've never pulled a lens apart this is one lens I'd leave to a pro repairer...

3. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one and it's a great lens. As mentioned there might be oil on the blades which would require taking the lens apart. Not an easy task unless you have the proper tools. Perhaps just exercising the lens manually might free it up.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you would be very foolish to attempt to fix such a fine optic yourself, it's a job for a professional.

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, people flush clean shutters don't they? No, don't go pouring lighter fluid into the helical.
    Remove the lens groups & clean the aperture blades with q-tips. Front and rear.
    If the oil's in the blade housing it's not going to help, that requires removing the blades & resetting them on reassembly.