Minolta MD W.rokkor-X 24mm lens, thoughts?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by redstarjedi, Jun 23, 2014.

1. redstarjedi

redstarjedi Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello, i am a new owner of a minty minolta 24mm lens. I bought this lens since, i wanted something wider than 28mm for landscape, street and architecture work that was manual focus. One of my criteria was that it be a sharp lens with good resolving power, that etches out the details near and far. I have that with my contax G 28mm lens. And yes, i know it's not fair to compare contax to minolta or a range finder to a slr, but the minolta 50mm 1.7 is very impressive. So i figured the 24mm would be too. [/FONT]

After reading the reviews here: www.rokkorfiles.com/24mm.html I thought i had found a great lens.

Well after putting a few rolls in im underwhelmed. It's no where near as sharp as the rokkorfiles puts it at, These are my results bellow. I plan on shooting a roll of slide film. If they look good under the loop then i know it's not the lens.

www.flickr.com/photos/tonywankenobi/sets/72157644862214629/

www.flickr.com/photos/tonywankenobi/sets/72157644914298427/

2. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hard to determine

It is hard to determine exactly what is going on. I assume to get the files onto the web you used a digital scanner. Is your scanner as good as the other guy's? This, we out here have no way of knowing. Shooting slides and taking a look at them is a good idea. Good luck.

3. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Roosinov Russar 20mm gives that pink cast like yours. Its 750 dollars today. I dont know what would be the role of Leica in development in that lens but Minolta made many lenses for Leica and Leica supports the RD in Minolta. Same for Yashica for Zeiss.

I read that now :
    The 24/2.8 has the best reputation and was also one of those Minolta designs that was licensed for use by Leica (others included the 35-70/3.5 and 70-210/4).

4. redstarjedi

redstarjedi Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My scanner is a pakon 135+ it's given me amazing results with all other films including portra 160 and ektar 100 which is what i shot. Is it a fuji frontier? No but it's damn close.

5. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A tripod and deep focus technique would help.
    what body are you using?

6. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    don't know

Since we don't know what scanner the other guy uses, it's apples and bananas.

7. redstarjedi

redstarjedi Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

Thanks for the advice. I shot a roll of provia 100f with a tripod.

The body is a x-700 with motordrive. I've also used it with a XE-7 and a tri-pod. The long exposures are a good example.

What do you mean by deep focus? A lot of the shots in the links were at f/16 or f/22.

8. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Snapguy is right , you dont know the post processing also , they can convert a donkey in to an angel.

9. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Very few lenses of this type and focal length are at their sharpest at f/16 or f/22. There is too much diffraction at these stops. If you are shooting on a tripod but with very long exposures and with vibration induced by passing vehicles then you are not getting a good idea of the performance of the lens.

10. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can't tell you much without knowing every detail involved. Good luck on the slides.

11. redstarjedi

redstarjedi Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    redstarjedi,

Welcome to APUG.

I had the Rokkor 35mm, 38mm and 21mm lenses. The 35mm was not wide enough and i got rid of it. I used the 28mm extensively. The 21mm was great but it is not a lens that can be used in many situations. I think that the 24mm lens is a good lens that you will use a lot.

I am realize that I am looking a scans, however from what I am seeing the lens is sharp and you got a good one.