Minolta nutswingers

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by j-dogg, Jun 30, 2010.

1. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes you, I'm talking to you!

I have thought about making the jump just to add one to the collection to shoot with.

I know diddly-squat about their product lineup except the Maxxums were the bomb.

I am torn between these

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/pho/1818288544.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pho/1817549507.html

a 7xi

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pho/1816657231.html

and this local find which i am on the verge of driving down on a lunch break and snatching up. QTsi

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/pho/1811915038.html

Which to get and what should I look for....also the pawn shop up the street has one too not sure of the model.

2. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It all depends on how much you want to spend. If you are looking for an Auto Focus Minolta, you really cannot go much past the Maxxum/Dynax 7 or 5. This was the last of the Minolta Film SLR's and is compatible with modern SSM lenses (the ones with the focus motor in the lens, not the camera), but will also take the older style AF lenses. A body only 7 will go for between $150 to $200.

3. belalan

belalan Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I recently bought a Maxxum 5 and I have to say it's an amazing piece of work. It's like a digital that shoots film and the metering is amazing

4. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You might also consider a 800si which can be had for far less than the 7. It has the most powerful built-in flash, autofocuses quickly, and is much more robust than the 7. It's also heavy. One of the great things about it is the hotshoe. It can use the older 5400 series flashes which do NOT work with digital cameras. Practically the same functionality of the later 5600 flash, but 1/3 the price or less.

5. Cork

Cork Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Of the cameras you listed, I'd avoid the QTsi - very little in the way of control and the kit lens it came with was not one of Minolta's better efforts. It was more a light, small P&S with interchangeable lenses. The 7xi was a great camera; I used one as my main body for 15-16 years. The controls take some time to learn. The 28-105xi zoom was decent; a bit heavy, and the autozoom feature was weird at first. Didn't catch on and was dropped a few years later.

Of the "si" cameras I liked the XTsi best; the focusing was enhanced over the "xi" series somewhat. Same outstanding metering system. Can't remember much about the 600si other than it had more manual controls like dials rather than push buttons; probably a nice body, though. The lens offered with the 600si you showed would put me off, but I'm not big on massive 3rd party zooms.

As to the Minolta 50, I believe it was pretty low quality, as was its kit lens.

I played with a Maxxum 5 and agree it would be a wonderful choice.

6. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used a 7xi for a number of years and like it a lot but it does go through batteries more quickly than other models I've had. I still have two bodies but they're now backups to an 800si, which is pretty much my dream 35mm camera. I never liked, don't use and don't own Minolta's motorized lenses but other Minolta lenses are excellent to superb. A 7xi, 700si or 800si would all be excellent cameras for a lot less than the newer 5 and 7 models. I think I paid $40 for the last 7xi I bought on the 'bay, $68 for the 800si.

Mike

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm happy that you are getting the answers you need, however I'm a little aprehensive of the title. This isn't the frat house or a locker room, and there are women and young'uns that read these threads. I think in the future please be a little less trashy in the heading.

8. st3ve

st3ve Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does it have to be an autofocus model?

I have an XE-7 and that thing is SWEET. I think the only thing quieter than an XE-7 is a camera with a leaf shutter. Film advance is dead silent, silky smooth, and the shutter/mirror is very quiet for an SLR. Shutter's actually a Leitz / Minolta collaboration, from back when that actually meant something.

Full info viewfinder (sans film speed) through little optical windows that show the aperture and shutter speed. Pretty cool.

Little window right above the exposure counter that tells you if the film is properly loaded in a tactful way (little red square). Yeah, I've had to use it.... :cool:

Aperture priority for the decisive moments.

Hell of a camera for the mid-70s.

9. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speaking of XE7, I have one (& some other manual-focus minolta stuff like lenses, etc.) I'd let go for a good price. Seems to work fine. Minor brassing. Feel free to email/PM

-Ed

10. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, J-Dogg;

I really hope this does not mean that you are already losing your interest in the Nikkormat FT. She will be crushed.

The Minolta 600Si with the Tokina zoom lens is not a bad deal for the quoted price of only $40. In the "third party lens manufacturer" category, Tokina really is pretty good. The company was started by a small group of optical engineers who left Nikon. They have been right in there with Kino Precision and Komine. Together these guys made some pretty good lenses that were sold under the Vivitar name including some Series 1 models. My personal preference is for the Minolta Maxxum 600Si. I agree that the QTi is not the best choice among those offered to you. Again, if this camera is in at all reasonable condition, you will not be unhappy with your $40 purchase. It will be worth having the camera sent in for a CLA for that price. Yes, the CLA probably will be more expensive than the camera. Look at www.garryscamera.com

There is also a Minolta Maxxum 300Si around here somewhere, but it is not used very often. If I want to do something with a Minolta AF lens, I will get out the Maxxum 9.

11. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nutswingers?

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't worry about it. You are getting better than 97% of the active members. I will not make any specific recommendations because my experience was with the SR-7 through X-700. The Minolta optics are very good; if they weren't Leica would have never teamed with them.

13. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found a good deal on a Maxxum 5 and an srt 100 I'm going to probably snatch those up the next time I get paid. I would get a Maxxum 4 at the pawn shop across the street from my house but I'm not a big fan of plastic lens mounts.

14. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh and I have not lost interest in my FT I love it to pieces, I shot it today but I've wanted a Minolta forever. :D

15. Cork

Cork Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Steve,

Sorry you misinterpreted my post. I meant to say that I do not like/care for/use very wide range zoom lenses, particularly those made by third party manufacturers. I did not mean to imply that such lenses could not be decent optics. To me, that meant the 600si under offer in the ad quoted was coming with a lens for which I would have had no use, other than to resell. I believe the widest range zoom I use from time to time is a 28-135mm Minolta AF lens. It's a bit larger and heavier than the Tamron, but the quality is actually quite decent.

Rgds,
    Cork

16. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a Maxxum 8000i camera with a Minolta 35-70 AF zoom and 10 creative expansion cards for 50 bucks. It's a good upgrade from my Maxxum 7000. My Tamron 28-200 AF lens fits both as well. Good deals on Minolta cameras are everywhere these days. I've been a Minolta user since I bought my first SRT101 in the late 60's.

17. EricO

EricO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 3xi, 7000i, Maxxum 5, and a Maxxum 7. The Maxxum 5 gets a lot more playing time because of it's small size and features. I take the 3xi and 7000i when I'm not worry about them getting banged up. The Maxxum 7 gets playing time when I'm doing professional work or want to record a special event.

18. Chaplain Jeff

Chaplain Jeff Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello,

Get a Maxxum 9, or if that's too much money (>$350 these days), then get a Maxxum 7. Anything less would be silly at the prices they sell for today.

I enjoy my 9's, but I prefer my XE7 and my 570. Better choice of glass.

The advantage to the Maxxum is that you can share glass with your Sony Alpha - that's what I do.

Let us know what you decide.

Jeff M

19. EricO

EricO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. If I had the money I would have had purchased a 9. I love the 7. The next best thing would be to get a 7 and a 5.