Minolta RF's?

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by Chaplain Jeff, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Chaplain Jeff

Chaplain Jeff Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello,

Does anyone here shoot / collect Minolta RF's?

I have a half dozen Leicas, but my favorite RF's are still my Minoltas.

Here's what I have (all in working EXC to MINT- condition):

Minolta 35 Model II, w/ 45mm and 13.5cm Rokkor lenses

Minolta Super A, w/ 35mm and 50mm lenses and Super A light meter

Minolta A2

Minolta 7sII (one black, one chrome)

Minolta 9

Minolta 11

Minolta CLE, w/ 28mm and 40mm Rokkor-M lenses

I shoot the CLE the most, but love taking one of the others out and shooting for a day. My best images come from the CLE and the 7sII. The Super A is a great indoor camera when using a flash.

My daughter, who is 8, shoots with the A2, "because it looks like dad's cameras". It is now officially hers - I should take it off this list.

Anyone else shooting Minoltas?

Jeff M

2. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Before I stepped up to Medium Format is used a Minolta XD7, not exactly a rangefinder but it was a very nice camera, still have it as backup. Those Rokkor lenses are just fabulous, very sharp and not utterly expensive at the bay.

3. Marc Akemann

Marc Akemann Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a soft spot for Minolta because my very first 35mm camera was a Minolta SRT-102 back when I was a teenager. But I have had a couple of rangefinder Minoltas. One that I still have, an A3, is a really nice looking, nice working piece of metal and glass. The guy I bought it from said it was rare and, actually, I've never seen another since I bought it back in '96. Probably not worth much, though. I'll see if I can scan some slides taken with this camera a couple of years ago.

I had a Minoltina-P at one time, which gave a beautifully smooth sharpness to the photos I took with it. I should have kept that one. It's from the early 60's and may qualify more as a point 'n' shoot but it was a nice camera.

I also have an 11 like you have, Jeff. Haven't used it in almost 10 years. I release the shutter once in a while, as it still works.

I've always thought about getting into the Super A and 35 systems but never have, yet. Also considered the CLE but I'd rather stick to the mechanicals, although the CLE is quite tempting.

Marc

4. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Chaplain Jeff

Chaplain Jeff Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That's cool!

It's actually one of the sites I looked at when determining which 35 to get.

So, do you have all of those, or just compiled the information from reading?

Either way it's a great web page.

Jeff M

6. Bender

Bender Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here...!

I have a Minola Hi-Matic 7 and a Hi-Matic 7s. The 7 takes really great pics, the 7s (was my dad's camera - he passed away recently) shutter doesn't work.

I'm interested in getting a Minolta Hi-matic 9, an E, and maybe a 7s II.

7. Chaplain Jeff

Chaplain Jeff Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Bender,

If you like the feel of the 7 / 7s, get a 9. They are similar in size and function - so much so you might not notice a difference (or justify having both). The 7sII is my favorite of the non-interchangeable lens Minolta RF's. It is smaller than the 7, 7s and 9 - about the size of the CLE. It also feels "tighter", better made in my opinion.

I don't know much about the E except what I've read online. Never used one.

If you want to get your dad's camera working, there are a number of people out there who specialize in RF repair and are very reasonable. I can put you in touch with one or two names if you're interested.

Jeff M