Minolta SRT-201 Shutter Problem

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Lobalobo, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In a (partial) move from digital back to film, I pulled out my 35 year old (or so) Minolta SRT-201. I loved this camera when I was a kid; a lens a meter, manual focus, simplicity itself, and with the 50mm Rokkor 1.7 lens, great image quality. I had the camera cleaned and then took it out for a test. Unfortunately, about 20 percent of the time, after the shutter is depressed the viewfinder goes black but does not clear again until the film is advanced. I thought this was just the mirror not going back into place, but when I saw the film developed I noticed that on these shots the right hand part of the image is black (in positive). This convinces me of two things: first, I have no clear idea of how the shutter mechanism works; second, the camera (sadly) is probably now a paperweight. Regarding the second point, I can't imagine that it would pay to fix the problem. Any thoughts are welcome (including on whether there might be a market for the lens, which is still in great shape--maybe a Sony DSLR owner won't mind manual focus).

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This SRT-201 needs some CLA. Whether it will be worth your money ???
    You can look for a good body on the internet or see if the local camera shop has something you like.
    Selling your good lens to somebody with a DSRL is not advicable, the lens might fit, but the results will be not good:
    analoge lenses and DSLR does not work: chips want the image straight on and not in an angle.

3. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Minolta's manual focus lenses won't fit Sony digital SLRs, Sony uses Minolta's autofocus mount which replaced the manual focus mount in 1985. Your camera needs a CLA, about $100-$150 depending on who does it.

4. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can pick up Minolta SRT series SLRs on many online auction sites for $35-$50 USD all day long.

I'd buy another body and put the old one on display.

5. Ken22485

Ken22485 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've never used him but Garry's Camera seems to be highly recommended in the Minolta manual focus groups at Yahoo and at other forums. A Google search will turn up the reviews.

6. Joe VanCleave

Joe VanCleave Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    However, with the soon-to-be-released adapter ring, MD series lenses can be used on the u4/3'rds format Panasonic G1; there's already an adapter for the standard 4/3rd's format cameras.

~Joe

7. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks to all. As I suspected, the camera isn't worth fixing, sentimental value notwithstanding. If I do buy another analog SLR, I'll likely buy an autofocus (again, sentimental value aside) so will probably sell the MC Rokkor--or hang onto it as a keepsake.

8. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey, found this on the Pacific Rim Camera website:

[​IMG]

"105159 MINOLTA SRT201, WITH 50/1.4 MINOLTA MD, WORKING, MISSING PLASTIC TIP FROM THE WIND LEVER, ELSE EX $85.00"

Link to their Minolta MC/MD mount body page: http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/catalog/bx12.htm

Transfer the plastic tip from your 201 to this body, and continue shooting. Then, when you're ready to jump to AF, find whichever AF body suits your fancy... Heck, maybe even a decent Maxxum 9000, so you can still shoot fairly quietly, even though you're using an AF body.

-J

9. digitallure

digitallure Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love that camera. Had one and got lost in a move a few years ago. Sorry you are having problems with your camera. Hope it works out.

10. fmajor

fmajor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I whole-heartedly recommend John Titterington (JTcamera@aol.com in Leawood, Kansas) for Minolta SRT or any manual focus Minolta SLR. He's repaired and/or CLA'ed many of my SRT/XD Series cameras over the last several years and i've never had a problem with his work. Never. His price is $75 plus postage and he does a complete re-build in lieu of a simple CLA.

I have contacted Garry's Camera before (his shop is in the Chicago area) and he does have a lower price, but when asked about a specific repair for one of my Minolta XD-11s he couldn't do the job (my camera had a broken film winder spool). I think he pretty much has a CLA-only shop where John Titterington is a full-on repair center who also does CLA's.

Generally, you get what you pay for.

11. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be great if you could post this in the camera building and repair forum, where others are more likely to look for repair information.

12. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Charles;

For information and comparison, Garry's normal charge for a CLA is about $45.00. As you have heard, most people have been quite satisfied with the work from Garry's shop.

He also does repair work. For example, he is familiar with and does replace the capacitors in the Minolta X-700 circuit when required. I also believe that he does a conversion on the SR-T light meter circuit to make it compatible with the silver-oxide batteries.

For additional comparison, my local camera repair shop normally charges about $120.00 for a 35 mm CLA.

13. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    fmajor:
    Not every repairman can get the parts he needs from all camera makers.
    E.i. if I want Rolleiparts I get them, if I need a Nikon name/type plate I don't.
    That's why some camera repairmen do CLA's only.
    Replacing the broken film winder spool is not the problemm, getting the part is.

Peter

14. drazak

drazak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is a CLA? I need to have my x700 fixed, the shutter does not advance when the lever is moved, and I am not sure how it was broken (IE bought it with a 50/1.7 and 75-200/4.5 for the lenses). If you think that Garry's camera would be better, as I may not need parts, I will definitely send it there.

Ben

15. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    CLA means clean lube and adjust. Most cameras that need service dont have any broken parts, just gummed up mechanism. If it needs parts most repairers charge a bit extra for the parts

16. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ralph,

Don't forget, the $120-$138 charge that Doug charges is for a full overhaul of the body. I'm actually having the black Nikomat FT2 overhauled by him at the moment. New mirror box, J screen, possibly a different top cover, and some other goodies. By the time he's done, I'll be $138+tax poorer, but I'll have an FT2 that functions like new.

-J

17. Lobalobo

Lobalobo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry to be away so long from the thread; thanks to all. Will have to decide whether to put the camera in a box leaving it for my kids to fix 30 years from now, when it will be truly a relic, or fixing it myself now (despite the risk that I won't use it much and it will collect new dust and grime).

18. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is a month late

and maybe a dollar short---but hopefully you haven't thrown the camera out the window yet.

I'm guessing the camera has been stored for an extended period of time with the shutter cocked.This really beats the heck out of the springs,but should be an easy fix.--- remove the bottom of the camera,---with the back of the camera facing you,you will see a large brass gear left of center.Next to this gear are two smaller gears with click stops. turn each one of these small gears 5 clicks clockwise---then with the back opened fire the shutter and make sure the shutter closes all the way and the mirror resets--if not turn the gears 5 more clicks and try again.--hope that helps.

19. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just did that thingy with my SRT-101 last nite. It works great and my shutter speeds are also much more accurate.

20. andrewc

andrewc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My mirror on one of my recently acquired 102s was doing the same thing. I replaced the foam on the mirror damper (it had become gooey) and it hasn't done it since.