Minolta SRT MC-2 mirror question

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by McFortner, Aug 9, 2009.

1. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now my Minolta SRT MC-2 is broken!

I have gotten a SRT MC-2 and I've noticed that the mirror will not come back down after the shutter fires until I advance the film. The shutter is working normally, just the mirror is sticking. Is this normal for this camera? If not, is it easily fixable, or something I should just live with? :confused:

Thanks,
    Michael

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  2. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nope. It is not normal; it should return instantly. If there is much friction in advancing the film, I'd get it looked at. Of course, you can buy a SRT MC-II for about $40 or less, so it might be better to buy a replacement body and keep that one for parts.

That was the very first camera I ever owned; lovely and rugged. Don't toss it!

3. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, crud. Now the darn thing doesn't want to shoot or advance. Just my kind of luck.... :sad:

Man, I hate it when this happens. I wish there was a way I could repair it, but I don't think that's possible. And getting this shot off my spending cash for a month or so. It sucks being on disability.

Michael

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Disability sucks.

Sorry that you have to deal with it.

Steve

5. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. That's why I don't branch out into other formats and only use cheap film and developer. Gotta keep the costs down. I've got a few 127 cameras that I'm going to try using 35mm in to see how it works.

Now I just have to figure out how to save up enough to have this camera repaired.

Michael