Minolta X-570 problem

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by pbromaghin, Oct 2, 2011.

1. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today I found a Minolta X-570 with a bad Vivitar lens at Goodwill for 25 bucks.
    Figuring another X-570 would be a great addition to my existing Minolta stable, I was ready to walk out of the store with it when mywife said, "Why dont you try it out?"

At first I thought it didn't have a battery, but then I heard that little breeping noise of it finding an exposure and lights blinked in the viewfinder. It just wouldn't fire the shutter. I told the lady that I didn't know what was wrong with it but it was no good.

I didn't have the presence of mind to tell her I would give 5$ for it as a parts camera. But shit, it was in beautiful cosmetic condition and I'm afraid they are going to throw it in the trash.

Does anybody have any idea what is wrong with it? I don't think it is the usual capacitator problem because that doesn't usually stop the shutter from firing - it just produces a screwed up picture.

I love Minolta X-570's and really want to rescue this one. It's in perfect cosmetic shape, better than the one I own, but the shutter won't fire. I figure it will take a $100 to fix the body and it will then be worth $75. That's fine with me.

Any ideas?

2. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    $45.00 Garry's camera in Il can fix it, it is the capacitor.

3. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The reason I avoid X-570/X-700 cameras. It's a baked-in defect that turns them into junk. Too many other cheap, functional 35mm SLRs available to bother with these dogs.

5. sandermarijn

sandermarijn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Both my two X700's and the one X300s had that same (capacitor) problem. Annoying but easy to fix. This place is helpful:

http://www.twid.de/x700/#fixc

Sander

6. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought the capacitor would cause the freeze with the mirror halfway up, where if you lift it the shutter will release. A friend gave me an XG-1 with that problem. Are you guys sure about this?

CGW - If I could stockpile a 1/2 dozon capacitators for the x-570 I would. It is a fantastic camera. It's a pleasure to hold in the hands; with smooth, intuitive operation; an extremely accurate meter with almost ideal center waiting, and great glass to be found; a truly superior camera. I have become very attached to mine.

Speaking of which, I remember a website that talked about capacitators to meet this camera's specs today. Where and how would a guy find something like that that isn't old stock?

7. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Microtools' supply (link above) isn't old stock and they ship worldwide. Note the price is for a packet of 5. Its a standard capacitor rating but in an unusual small size. You might find them elsewhere.

I've repaired my X300 - its a dead easy fix and takes 5 minutes.

8. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bought 2 X-700s a couple years ago. Both died within a year. Both in mint- shape. Glad they were cheap. Plasticky junk relative to the old heavy metal SRT series.

Funny but none of my stable of Nikon bodies ever dropped dead in their tracks like that.

9. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a 570 that had the 'no fire' problem and it turned out to be the idler gear in the winding train was binding and wouldn't allow the winding ratchet to fully return when you released the cocking lever.

The screw, a phillips head next to the white gear, had loosened and the gear had no clearance and was binding the gear train. Simply moved the white gear away slightly from the blue gear and tightened the screw.

BTW, this is under the bottom plate. Four phillips screws and you're there.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  10. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm really considering going back to get this camera if I can get it for $5-10 or so as a doorstop. Oh, it would be great if it was just that loose screw. Even if it is the capacitor it's a good price for a good body.

11. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually the X700 is a relative to the XG series not the SRT.
    The 370 and 570 are only stripped down X700s.
    As much as I like Minolta I have to agree about the 700 being a plasticy camera,I recall when it came out,looked at one and knew then that it was over for Minolta.
    This was when I shifted my attention to Nikon.

12. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also find the capacitors at Digikey and Mouser

Random selection, didn't check for size...
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UMW0G221MDD/?qs=kArNe9LFxXnC%2fFk7cJs4xg%3d%3d

If someone can post measurements of the size of the cavity in the camera ... the one above is 6.3mm dia, 5mm long, 2mm lead spacing.

If you can fit something larger in there then a 105C, 6.3V long-life capacitor with a higher current rating may be a better choice, but then you may have to fork over 49 cents rather than the 22 cents asked for the above. Obviously, if it fails as often as it seems to, the capacitor is overstressed/underspecified. The ones sold by Microtools don't appear to be high reliability parts, just a 1:1 replacement for what was there originally - though that may be the best one can get that will fit in the space available.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  13. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had a X-700 since 1986.

I bought my first X-700 in '86 and last I ran a roll of film through it was two months ago. It jammed up last year and I took off the top and a spring around the wind lever fell out. I couldn't see where it went so left it off. It works fine without it. I did replace a cap in one of my other X-700's but it was not the problem. They also have another cap that is supposed to be replaced under the top. I didn't want to do that, and good thing as I realized that was probably not the problem anyway as it was wound part way. I sold it on ebay for parts. The 500 is a little better in that you can take slower than 1/60 shots with the flash I think. (You can with the X-700 too if the flash doesn't set the shutter speed.) If my Minolta's died today they would not owe me a cent. They have paid for themselves both in memories and in doing a few weddings. I did always carry them in a nice case and didn't let them bang around, but to call them junk is a little much. My first one is 25 years old. Ric.
    P.S. I have always wound and tripped the shutter in my cameras when I haven't used them for a month or so. That keeps the caps working. I think many cameras fell to work because people let them sit for a year and then they don't work. That is like those ads you see on CL where the sellers says, "it worked last time I used it." Meaning when his college aged son was in diapers.

14. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought my first X-700 25 years ago and shot everything from weddings to architectural to macro with no problems. When our first child came along my wife wanted me to get a better job that payed regular and had benefits so the 700 was sold and I regretted it for years. A few years ago my daughter expressed an interest in photography so I went to a pawn shop and picked up several cameras cheap. The X-370 worked flawlessly so I gave it to my daughter but the 700 had the shutter problem, I sent it to Garry's and he did a complete CLA for the $45 price and it has worked flawlessly eversince. In two years I would have to say that I have run about 500 rolls of film through this camera and have built up a fairly complete system for macro and architectural, that includes 35/2,8 tilt shift and a tilt shift bellows. I don't have every lens that Minolta made some because I have yet to find them and others because they are so close together focally it doesn't make sense such as having a 17 and a 21mm. I have recently started collecting the pre-MC lenses and the ones I have so far are gorgeous when it comes to the prints. Tack sharp with creamy bokeh.

My advice, get it cheap and send it to Garry, you will never be sorry.