Minolta X-570 shutter not firing

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by jono1515, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jono1515

jono1515 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just thought I'd check and see if anyone here can confirm that I've got the same capacitor issue that crops up with x-700's.
    Basically everything seems to be working until I push down on the shutter release. As soon as I do it's as if I've turned the camera off. The LED's all go out and nothing else happens. If I do turn off the camera and then back on the LED's will light up when I touch the shutter. I thought the batteries might be dying but replacing them didn't solve the problem. If this is the capacitor(s) going bad, as I've read happens with X-700's, I think I'll probably send it to http://www.garryscamera.com/ for repair.
    Anyone else have this happen?

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. Sounds like it's shorting out or something. Don't have those problems with the old sr-T's so can't help you there. Ralph Javins might happen along and have soe better input.

3. jono1515

jono1515 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah I guess it does sort of sound like a short... not sure what caused it to start so suddenly though. I literally took a picture and on the next one this happened. First time it's ever been an issue.
    It's a shame because I just gave a perfectly good srt-101 away.

4. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It only takes the first time for something bad to happen. Just throwing things out there for more info for the next guy.

Has it been dropped lately?
    Has it gotten wet or been left in a car during extreme temp changes (ie. condensation)?
    Have you been using flash on the hotshoe and, if so, no issues there?
    Does the timer work?

Just brainstorming electronic issues that might shed some light. That's all.

5. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yup, on a mint X700 that "died pretty" last summer and got pitched. Unless the repair is almost free, I'd just look for another one and shoot till it drops, too.

6. jono1515

jono1515 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As far as I know it hasn't been dropped... but I doubt my girlfriend would tell me she's knocked it off a table if I ask her.
    Hasn't gotten wet or seen any extreme temp changes since the last time I used it. It's been sitting in my apartment for the past month or two without being used until this morning.
    I've never used a flash or anything else on the hotshoe.
    The timer does work. That was what I tried after my initial few attempts to get it to fire. With the timer on, as soon as you press the shutter release the LED's go out in the viewfinder and then the timer counts down, but then nothing happens and I have to turn the camera off and back on again to get any response from it again.

7. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I go capacitor or a short. More likely a short.

8. jono1515

jono1515 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm waiting to hear back from Garry's to see how much this might be to fix. If it's around $50 I'll probably send it in. I really like the x-570. I've had x-700's and srt-101's, and I currently also have an x-370 but the x-570 is my favorite by far.
    Anyway, thanks again for the ideas.

Jon

9. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're welcome.

10. LCEL

LCEL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Take the batteries out.
    Take a good look inside the battery compartment.
    Take a good look at the contacting points and make sure they are really clean, if in doubt clean them with some medical alcohol, or WHYG, on earsticks, you know the sticks with cotton on each side to clean out your ears.
    Check the voltage of the battery again.
    Just a few days ago I bought a X-570 and I thought the electronics were gone , but to my suprise it is working again.

Best regards.

11. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like the usual capacitor problem.

12. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agreed, 99% its the capacitor problem. This is exactly the symptom I had on my x300. Turn it on, LEDs light up. As soon as you touch the shutter, everything dies. Turn on/off same again.

The capacitors area available here http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Camera-Parts/Capacitor-for-Minolta-X-700-C9-C10.html Note its for a pack of 10! It says for X700, but its exactly the same in the X300/370 and I guess the X570 as well.

On the x300 the capacitor is easily accessed under the baseplate. Not too difficult to unsolder/resolder except the PCB is very thin and flexible so you have to watch you don't put too much heat in. If you have any old electronics solder with a high lead content all the better - it melts at a lower temperature.

13. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's only one of two possibly faulty caps. Tell him where and how to get at the other one. There are several online surgical guides for this procedure. Good luck!

14. jono1515

jono1515 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    not sure i want to rip into it myself...

I have some experience with soldering but I'm pretty messy so I think I'll leave this for a professional. Plus the camera probably could use a thorough overhaul. Garry did get back to me and quoted me $48 for the repair, overhaul and return shipping. Not bad at all and with less than a week turnaround time. Pretty sure that's how I'll attack this.
    If this weren't a camera that I really really like I might be more comfortable risking destroying it but I just don't trust my soldering skills enough for a camera I actually like.
    Thanks again for all the responses!

Jono

15. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds good to me. Hope it goes well for ya.

16. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, just looked at the repair manual and that fault looks like it might be related to the 'Touch' circuitry. There is a metering switch that is normally open and, when closed sends juice to the power source circuit which in turns goes through the meter/release signal thingy and, well, let's just say you made the right choice. Honestly, didn't say anything about a capacitor. Most times a capacitor will have a fault from the getgo, not after an action is taken (ie. the shutter release button depressed). Especially given that ON-OFF-ON allows the metering to function and the LED are again illuminated.

I, in my stupidity, don't think even I would try to fiddle with this on a boat anchor, let alone a camera with a chance of salvaging.

17. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In all honesty, I don't know. The x300/370 only has one cap. I know the x700 has two, but no idea if the x570 has one or two . I have heard tho that it is usually the base cap in the x700 that goes first, so prob best to try that anyway. I do know it took me about 10 minutes to fix my x300 and its still going strong 1 year on