Minolta XG1 Questions

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by gnashings, May 31, 2005.

1. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I got a Minolta XG1 from a friend, he basically gave up on it because "it doesn't work". I put some batteries in it, and the shutter seems to fire just fine, but no LED's come on in the viewfinder - I am assuming that the meter or any automation does not work. I was wondering if any of you know wether this is a common problem and if there is a simple fix that I could perform myself. The camera is a throw-away, so if I get it working, bonus, if not - oh well, a case where I am willing to risk fiddling with it myself since there is no real loss if I "fix" something until it doesn't work anymore...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am sure someone here has had one or dealt with one in the past.
    Thanks in advance!

Peter.

2. garryl

garryl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    two questions-
    are you using the right Battery?
    are you metering in the "Auto" mode?

3. jamesdak

jamesdak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I skimmed over the manual (I was a bit pressed for time so I was not as in depth as I would like), but yes to the batterires - they are the 76's recommended, and no, nothing lights up in auto mode either. I know that with my AE1 (from a fellow APUG'er - thank you!) there are some susceptible connections that may need attention. Is there such a spot on these? Thanks for the responses!

Peter.

5. krandi88

krandi88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    xg1

I still own one and shoot with it, great camera. I'm sure you know this but I thought I'd mention it anyway, your finger must be touching the shutter button to complete the circuit before any lights show in veiw finder.

6. jono1515

jono1515 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an XG1 that intermittently has the same problem. Sometimes the led lights come on and sometimes no. Also, sometimes, even in full manual mode, when I release the shutter nothing happens unless I gave the camera a little tap or sometimes a little slap... which obviously leads to some interesting compositions and occasional blurry-ness. I've also got an x-700 which doesn't suffer from this same problem so it's more of a nuissance than anything as I can always just use the other body.

7. MikeM1977

MikeM1977 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Make sure the batteries are fresh. On my Minolta X-700, the warning sign of dying batteries is the LEDs stop working, but the camera continues to take auto-exposed pictures for sometime afterwards.

8. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could be dying capacitors as well

Not sure on the XG-1 , but on the X-700 there are a couple of capacitors that were, I believe, initially of tanatlum construction (expensive type, last a very long time), but in later iterations of this model were electrolytic (cheaper, last like a decade or more if the camera never lived in a hot place for a long time- dry out and get flaky with time). Replacement is not for the faint of heart. It takes the steadiness of a neuosurgeon to also solder the tiny things into place without burning up anything else you weren't supposed to touch.

I am sorry, but the problem sounds like it could be caps going flaky. The battery can supply enough power to trip the shutter, but perhaps not the added draw ( which the capacitors build up to release in the short time that on average the LED's in the view finder are lit) to run the LED's

9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I go with Mike M on this one. The batteries could be low and, as gets to be the case with my XG-M from time to time, some dirt or grease could have built up on the shutter button, preventing the LED circuitry from closing.

10. gery

gery Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    BATTERIES FOR XG1
    I've got a Minolta XG1 which look beautiful, it came without battery. what kind of battery do I have to buy?
    do you think maybe I can get it on Radio Shack?

11. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2 x m-76/ lr44 for most old minoltas

if it is not an srt, which used a mercury batery originally, the rest of the minolta manual focus line lived on lr44's - this is a very common battery in all sorts of electronic things today. Take the camera with you to Radio Shack/ The Source, buy a battery that looks to fit, then the second one once fit is confirmed.

12. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Duracell D375B (2 batteries).

13. Josy

Josy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm having problems with my Minolta XG-1, and I really hope someone could help me fix the problems.
    I have a Minolta XG-1, which hasn't been used for a long time. A little while ago I became interested in SLR photography so I decided to shoot some photos with it. Now, I've refreshed the batteries and I've put a new film in. I've set the settings to automatic and standard, but the film-advance lever won't go further than 30 degrees while it should go up to 130 degrees. In other words, the lever blocks and prevents me from advancing to the next photo. (Note: it's a new film and advancing from S to 1 (on the counter) is not possible).

The required batteries are A76, but I've read that you also could use a similar battery (like L1154, AG13, LR44). At the moment I'm using L1154 batteries.

I really hope that someone could help me because I look forward to shooting some nice pics with this nostalgic apparatus. :tongue:

14. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Did you try to fire the shutter. Maybe it was already partly wound when you started to load the film.

15. Josy

Josy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, I've already tried to fire the shutter. Unfortunately nothing happens...

16. camerastoomany

camerastoomany Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You could try operating the self timer. I've tried it successfully with a couple of cameras with electronic shutters. That said, I have 2 x XG-1, AG-2 and XG-m which refuse to work and the self timer trick hasn't worked

17. camerastoomany

camerastoomany Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Errr, that should have been XG-2 not AG-2.

18. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Here's something I did to mine last week. I get a junker from sleeze bay and the mirror was stuck up. I noticed the shutter curtains were not perpendicular to the curtain travel, askewed slightly. I pressed slightly on the first shutter curtain's edge and it sprung over. I pressed likewise and the second curtain reset and the mirror slapped down. NEW CAMERA!!!

Don't know what your exact prob is but is need not necessarily be the blamed blown capacitor.