Minolta XK CLA/repair???

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by RichSBV, Jun 23, 2005.

1. RichSBV

RichSBV Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Didn't know where else to ask and thought someone here might know?

I have several Minolta XK's. They are my 'babies'. Will never give them up!

Unfortunately, after 30+ years of use, at least one of them is showing some signs of it's age, not unlike it's user ;-) Biggest problem is a sticky shutter at high speeds. I don't move so fast anymore either, but it makes more of a difference in a shutter...

This is not a drastic problem because I've kind-of moved on to 4x5 and 8x10, but still love to take the 35mm's out now and then.

After many searches, I could find no references to absolute recommendations to get an XK serviced. My first thought was KEH as I've bought a lot of used equipment from them. But I hate to send one of my babies off without some kind of recommendation...

So, anyone know, for sure, absolutely, who could take proper care of my XK's???

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might give Kelly Camera repair a hollar in AZ, they have always treated me quite well over the years., They have the ability to make parts that are no longer available.

www.kellycamera.com

Dave

3. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I used to shoot with Minoltas including the XK (very cool camera).
    I happened to live within a five minute drive of their US headquarters and factory service facilities in Ramsey NJ. Repairs were very quick and easy.
    Now Konica Minolta HQ is just a few more miles down the road buyt that does me no good anymore.
    I'd be interested in hearing your results, especially if the repair requires parts.

4. RichSBV

RichSBV Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Dave. Not all that much info on their site, but enough to find out. Of course they don't mention the XK...

Flotsam, Yes, if I can manage a good CLA/repair, I would be more than happy to share the experience. I'm hoping non of them will need parts because they all function perfectly, except for the one that started sticking at 1/2000.

The other concern of mine is the AE Prism. Got one of those that's 2 stops off and I'm betting a good calibration on that is no small feat. I've read the service manul....

At least Kelly's gives the impression that they care about the older cameras, to the point of making parts that can no loinger be obtained. It's deffinitely worth a phone call...

5. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You might also try contacting John Titterington (Google for his name).

6. bob01721

bob01721 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second that! John (JTCamera@aol.com) is a great technician, fast, reasonable, thorough, and honest. You won't go wrong with John.

On the flip side, I've heard (from others) some recent horror stories about Garry's. I never had any dealings with him, so I'm not speaking first hand, but I think you oughta know that others have had some real problems with him.

7. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Uh-oh, I almost had a box taped shut for Garry's.

8. jamesdak

jamesdak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Garry's camera has handled two repairs for me with satisfactory results. One was a broken SRT-101b and the other was a Hi-matic 7sII with a non-functioning meter. Garry did both repairs with no problems. All that said though, I've seen enough negative posts about Garry's to not use them for something serious. I too have used John T. and was very happy with his service also. I believe if any of my various MF Minolta's develop a serious problem John will be the first one I contact. For me Garry's is a source for cheap CLA'a and minor repairs of select items. Hope this helps.

9. RichSBV

RichSBV Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So it takes me a while...

I sent an e-mail off to Kelly, so far no reply. They don't mention the XK model on their site and I wanted some verification...

I also tried e-mailing Mark Hamma. Anyone here ever heard of him??? I found his name mentioned all over the place for XK repairs while doing an hours long serach for the possible cause of a stuck film advance (bought a 'new' XK and the advance lever is stuck solid). No reply from him yet either...

Okay, who else should I send an e-mail off to?? ;-)

Oops, forgot about JT Camera. Just sent off an e-mail to them...

10. magic823

magic823 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its Mark Hama. He's the one to have your Yashica TLR worked on since we worked in the Yashica factory in Japan. He CLA'd my 124G last year. His website is www.markhama.com

Steve

11. psvensson

psvensson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, don't use Garry. From my own experience, I know he is perfectly capable of doing more harm than good and then lying about it. On photo.net, he has what appear to be shill recommendations.

12. RichSBV

RichSBV Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, thanks for the correction on Mark Hama's name. I've been to his site, which is why I sent him an e-mail. No info as far as XK's...

In my searches, I've read quite a few complaints about Garry's. I don't think he'll see my babies...

And JTCamera actually answered me. He doesn't work on XK's...

I'll wait another day or two and then e-mail Mark Hama and Kelly's again if I don't hear from them. Maybe worth a phone call otherwise...

The big problem is that the XK is a beast unto itself. I don't think it's more complicated than a comparable nikon? But there's a whole lot less of them around... And I could see the electronics causing poeple problems without the specialized test equipment. But after reading the repair manual, it all doesn't look that difficult, for a repair person. Too many little parts & screws for me...

So, the search continues...

13. RichSBV

RichSBV Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kelly did finally get back to me. They didn't actually answer my questions, but did state they'd service the camera which I'm hoping includes the meter, for a very reasonable price. So I plan on sending them one easrly next week... Ohhh, the anxiety :confused: These cameras haven't been away from me for more than 30 years...

14. RichSBV

RichSBV Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just in case anyone had an interest...

Almost 3 months later and no luck. I got a call from Kelly's last week to confirm the repair. I asked "What the confirmation I gave 3 months ago, last time you called?"... So they found my confirmayion and credit card info in their computer and sent the camera to the tech...

Today I find out that the camera is not worth repairing! They didn't specify unavailable parts or a higher price. And only the tech would have more details, not the people who answer the phones... I don't have the camera back yet so I have no idea if they're going to charge me for this, but what a complete waste of time! Deffinitely not a good first impression out of Kelly's...

But I won't give up on the XK yet. I'll try Mark Hama again and I've now heard about Ken Ruth. Maybe they'll be more open to repairing an XK?

I just find it hard to believe that a camera that works 100% except for a slight 'stick' in the shutter at 1/2000 is completely un-repairable.... Maybe it broke in shipping or when they tested it? Maybe they had a spare part after opening it? I suppose I'll find out sooner or later....

Just thought I'd add the update...