Minolta XK - Need Advice

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by DF, Jan 26, 2013.

1. DF

DF Member

I'm trying to find one, but all I need is it to be in minimal working condition - what I mean is this: I don't need the meter to work, just as long as I can set it to work manually - I set the aperature and shutter speed. Can one do that on this Frankensteinish camera because it seems to be so rooted down in its electronics. I'm drawn to it because of it's waiste-level finder.

2. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you don't already have an investment in Minolta lenses, take a look at the Nikon F series

3. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Start with a manual because not only is the XK an aperture priority camera - set aperture and it will decide the shutter speed, but it is also a full manual - set shutter and aperture, kind of camera.
    It has the highest sync speed of all the pro titanium horizontal shutter interchangeable viewfinder pro bodies. It is also the most quiet shutter of the bunch.

[​IMG]

Check out -> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/minoltaxk/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
  4. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A beautiful camera that I much coveted in the 70's but could not afford. Almost as rare as hens teeth though now.

5. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    If you are looking for a waist level finder camera for not much money Exaktas used to be cheap, but they are holding their value. ( I really hate to say the next part) Miranda Sensorex cameras are plentiful, their lenses pretty good and you can nearly always find one for $30-60 at
    www.shopgoodwill.com

David

6. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if you can find a waist level finder for the XK. It seems quite rare.

7. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A beautiful camera, one that I always wanted. Hard to find though, at least in the U.S. They do pop up on eBay, and can occasionally be found at KEH. Harder yet to find accessories. Just keep at it, it may take a few months, but you'll eventually find one.

Jim B

8. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Like its peers, you can remove the finder and use it in waist view mode. But unlike its peers, there is no shutter speed indication without a finder attached. You can use the the index pin for where the A position is in relation to the shutter speeds.

[​IMG]

9. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OKay Les! I remember back in 84, I was 26 then, and I was photographing the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC at around midnight. I had to place the camera on the ground because I had no tripod. Didn't want to lay down on the ground I removed the viewfinder and composed/focused with the plain ground glass screen and the pic came out perfectly fine. Now I can't well enough doing so.

10. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the camera capable of working without a battery?

11. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    no

12. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The same functionality as most all other aperture priority capable cameras of the era with the typical two manual speeds - sync (1/100) and bulb, when battery is dead. This is just like Nikon's top pro aperture priority interchangeable viewfinder SLR - the F3.

13. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    John No! Battery dependency and no motor drive (I know there is a version with built in motor drive) were the reasons the XK was sold well compared to Nikon F2 or Canon F1.