Minox B Subminiatures...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by ChristopherCoy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can anyone tell me why these cameras are valued at ~$200 by collectiblend, and why they are selling anywhere from $50 to $150 on eBay???

2. jbrubaker

jbrubaker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can't answer you question for sure, but I suspect the condition has lot to do with it. A pristine collector grade camera will always cost much more than average. Also, the Minox B has a Selenium cell meter which is very likely to not be working, or not very accurate as it ages, so a nice Minox B which is working properly is probably not the norm on Ebay. Personally, I like the later Minox C, or LX models because of their cds meters and auto exposure. ---john.

3. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm sure that cameras are exactly like many other collectables, antiques, coins, stamps, etc. A rare stamp has a "catalogue value" quoted in one of the recognised catalogues (e.g. Stanley Gibbons, or Scott), but this is very much a guide, a true buying or selling price depending entirely on condition, availability, collector demand on a particular day, whether the sun is shining and people feeling generous, etc., etc. A "catalogue" value also reflects a dealers price, including all overheads and the cost of holding a large stock and variety of items. An offer on Ebay may well be a collector to collector deal, without a dealers costs or profits to be covered.

4. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people don't know what they are selling on ebay, and of course the condition issue is important in regards to the sellers who do know.
    Also, remember that auction prices and retail prices are different. In an auction, you run the risk of receiving both higher and lower prices than the value of an item.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The selenium cell can be replaced. The trick with these cells is to keep them in the dark except when the camera or light meter is being used.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Per CollectiBlend:

7. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah I get all that...

But what is it about the cameras that is making them desirable? Is it strictly collectibility, or is there some kind of movement like there is with instant photography and lomo?

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is usable. It is collectable.
    But there has no Minox fashion come into existance, as far as I know of.

9. jbrubaker

jbrubaker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would like to start a movement for Minox photography! The cameras are really fun to shoot with, but a bit of a challenge when it comes to processing and printing/scanning. A couple of times a year, I get the urge for some Minox photography, so I slit and load some fresh film and go at it. ---john.

10. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a following for these (and some other) subminiatures. You have to be impressed with the design and mechanics of these "watch-like" marvels.

11. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    no clue -- i was an officer in the Minox Historical Society for a coupla years, and at that time -- 5 or so years ago -- B models were a glut on the market, $50 if you were lucky. The black ones bring more. The newer models with electronic shutters bring more, but even those are relative deals.

So why are they suddenly desirable? No clue -- I wouldn't pay $200 for one in mint condition, and the meters are usually (a) dead and (b) impossible to repair at a reasonable cost point. The film is very expensive unless you cut and load your own.

And, let's be honest, they are a lot more work to get good prints from. I go on a minox binge once a year, frustrate myself for a coupla weeks, and then do some 35 and suddenly 35 feels like large format.

12. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hehe, at some point in recent years i commented they are like an early cellphone camera before there were cell phones. I still own a B purchased new in the 1960s (during a weak moment of excess disposable income). I keep thinking I should try it after ignoring it for several decades. There are a couple of 1970s vintage rolls of film around here somewhere, but I guess if I want to be fair, I should buy some recent vintage fine grain material.

13. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wouldn't mind having a Minox B. I wouldn't care about the meter though it would be a bonus if it worked - I just like mechanical cameras that don't rely on batteries. And if the original Minox is too expensive, the B is a bargain.

My Minox C uses a mercury battery, can be utilized with other kinds of batteries but you have to open the film chamber to change the battery. And when it comes to replacements for mercury batteries, well you know, they have to be changed all the time.

Makes a great backup camera for backpacking...

[​IMG]

14. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Like you, I was a follower of the Minox Historical Society about 10 years ago....I'd always been fascinated by Minox, and built up a modest collection of cameras and accessories at that time.

I think also that I liked the idea of a tiny kit to carry all the time, but, with compact 35mm point-and-shoot and the small digital cameras which appeared soon after, I succumbed to these as being much easier for casual and family snapshotting than the effort and time which is needed with Minox.

So, just like you, I enjoy the occasional Minox binge, then put the gear away again until I've forgotten how frustrating it can be and can muster up enough dedication for another try!

15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No modern camera can beat a Minox EC concerning portability.

16. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm ... last night I thought, hey, I'll order a couple of rolls of new film and give my old Minox B a tryout. Bzz-z-z-zZZZT! Every site had a notice up about being temporarily out of stock, but with assurances Minox claims it will be coming back.

There's a wet blanket on that impulse -- but I guess after being idle for 30 years another month (or year) won't matter. I suppose I could go the full route with a homemade slitter and reload, but that is a bit more trouble than I intended to entangle myself with.

I also recall several years ago seeing a device go by on ePrey that fastened into a 39 mm enlarger lens mount and had a short focal length lens and Minox film carrier built in, just using the main enlarger as a light source. Now that would be cool!

17. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Google "Goathill photo" for minox film/reloads

18. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! Has anybody bought from them recently? The website looks as though it hasn't been altered since circa 2005, which I find a little concerning. I do have some 1970s vintage rolls, I suppose one of them might at least verify the camera still functions.