Minox Thread

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by Ektagraphic, May 3, 2012.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I figured that I would start a new Minox thread for those of us that are APUGers and Minox users. I just purchased my first Minox, and it's a Minox B. I'm very excited to start shooting with it. In addition to Blue Moon processing Minox, I learned that Dwayne's Photo will also process Minox. Minox also just put up a statement on their website saying that they are still committed to offering film, which is a plus.

Patrick

2. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    nice to see you, patrick, and have fun with that B. Don't depend too much on the meter, check it first. If you decide to shoot with it a lot you may want to learn to cut your own film, but beyond that Blue Moon does a lovely job.

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had minox - I was astonish by lens quality. It was my favorite camera to carry all the time. And then one day in Istanbul shutter just died :sad:, in the middle of the action. If this camera has a reliable shutter - it would be a dream camera.

4. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To me, anyway, it's not worth slitting and loading film for the Minox. I find good prices on the real stuff at Optics Planet http://www.opticsplanet.net/minox-35filcam.html The Frugal Photographer http://www.frugalphotographer.com/catMinoxFilm.htm
    If you use color, Minox will process it. I use B&W and process it myself. I use a stainless reel made for 9.5mm film and use Ilford Microphen (now that I'm out of Microdol-X. I'm going to try some Legecy Pro Mik-X which is supposed to be the same as Microdol-X from Freestyle http://www.freestylephoto.biz/749710-LegacyPro-Mic-X-Film-Developer-to-Make-1-Gallon?cat_id=301

Remember the film is small so dirt and other defects really show up. Everything has to be CLEAN! I do have a Minox enlarger from my Dad, but before that I just used my Durst 606 and it was fine.

By the way, the shutters are very durable. My Dad used his B for about 50 years and i'm using it now and it works fine - shutter, meter, everything. You never know how a used one was treated.

Have fun!

5. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've had a Riga, B, C, LX, and EC. Great cameras but film and processing became too expensive even from Minox so sold all bt my C years ago. I still have the C with its tripod adaptor and the Minox tripod, well actually 2 of the tripods. The tripods are the best mini-pods out there. They do great with my Leica.

6. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  7. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not quite Minox. I have a Minolta 16-II bought at an auction this past winter for $20. I saw this little mechanical marvel, and could not resist.

Finding cassettes is another thing though. I bought one from a guy, Goat Hill I think was his moniker, down in Texas.

I have a 16mm stainelss reel for processing. I have slit down bulk 70mm for other purposes in the past, so that part of film creation doesn't scare me off.

I have yet to print the negatives, but have a D5xl, so getting a reasonable sized enlargement is just going to invlove a high head height.
    I plan to use my 50mm enlarger lens lens with the negatve masked off, until a shorter enlarging lens is found at the right price.

8. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's exciting to see Minox interest! I'm probably just going to have even my black and white films processed by Blue Moon or Dwayne's until I can find a reel and I too will just mask off a negative carrier and use the 50mm lens. We'll see how it goes.

9. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dang! You guys are trouble!

This thread sent me to the dark remote corner of the darkroom. And son-of-a-gun, I didn't scrap it, there it is . . .

[​IMG]

Plumbing fittings, scrap widgets ... The mount was a 1 1/2 inch pipe T with a thumbscrew to slide it over a vertical 1 1/4 inch pipe column (part of my 1960s vintage multi-format enlarger "system.") An automotive lamp driven by a filament transformer supplied the illumination.

[​IMG]

I've no idea if there's any samples left buried here, but I know I once made some prints with it.

A home made focusing lens mount (which shows several revisions!) carried a Kodak Anastigmat 35 mm f/3.5 lens, likely a military gunsight camera relic via Edmund Scientific (I lived close enough to visit there at the time). The lens has an adjustable aperture, but some sort of dedicated non-standard markings. Now you guys have the wheels spinning -- since my Omega B-8 uses a flat plate to mount a 50 mm lens, it should be possible to make a 15 mm recessed lens cone ....

[Oh no I'm already under fire for constant diversions from the honey-do list! :whistling: ]

I think my Minox B still has a film in it from circa 1975-ish. I used to dabble in slides and have a cute little Minolta projector (speaking of Minolta 16 up-thread) I used with those.

I feel an attack of Aging Adult ADD coming on . . . . .

10. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW - I was speaking about minox 35 camera when saying that shutter has died.

11. pentaxpete

pentaxpete Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have recently been GIVEN a MINOX 35GT 35mm film camera -- it had two PX27 5.6 volt batteries with it, both of whuch were DEAD due to long storage -- they are the 'illegal' MERCURY type -- I found a battery company in England called 'Brewsters' and they did a PX27 6 volt Alkaline battery replacement so I orderd one and teh camera WORKS and i have got some good results on outdated C41 film !
    Minox 35GT.jpg
    Minox Test 05.jpg Minox Test 01.jpg

12. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aaackkk.. and I suppose I highjacked this thread with Minolta 16 stuff. They really are not the same animal. Minolta 16 is almost 4x the size of a Minox frame.

13. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Few years ago , I had been sent a e mail to Kiev Ukraine Arsenal factory and above Minox Copies price was 16 dollars at the factory. Kiev 88 Kit with 80 mm lens , two backs , prism finder , leather bag and color filters was 170 dollars. How I am silly , I thought they will produce for decades but they have been closed instantly.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That makes a difference. Totally different type of shutter. Here in the USA I would just send it to Essex Repair and have it fixed. Don't know what the repair facilities are over there.

My late Wife had a Minox GT35 - took great photos.

16. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the shutter "clicks" but doesn't open, there is an adjustment to remedy that. Google around and you should find it.

17. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film for reloading Minox and Minolta cassettes available from Goathill Photo.

18. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it was that problem as you described. But I sold it as broken for parts after incident. I am tempted to buy another one - often even leica M is too big to carry everyday :smile:.

19. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Quarter Frame Minoltas that use Super 16 film have that huge image area, however, the older Minoltas that open and close like a big Minox, have an image area very similar to Minox.

20. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Minolta 16mm I've been wanting to use for a while, but with no source of battery / reliable film source, I have yet to use them.

21. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can get film from the Kodak on-line store. $20 for 100 feet of negative film. http://store.kodak.com/store/ekcons...4/baseProductID.228296500/productID.228437200

What kind of battery are you looking for? The Minolta QT can be powered by a coin-shaped 3V lithium cell.

22. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I so wish that they still made cameras too!

23. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was browsing ebay and it seems most if not nearly all Minox cameras have bids placed upon them....Are they all being bought to sit on a shelf or will they get used? Who is buying them up?

24. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I'm confused, is this thread about the 8x11mm Walter Zapp Minox cameras, or the Minox 35 cameras?

I have 3 or 4 Minox III and IIIs cameras, 3 or 4 Minox B, a broken Minox C. I have 4 Minox film developing tanks, two Jobo 35mm reels modified (cut down) for Minox 8x11 film, a Minox enlarger, and a couple of different film slitters. Using the Minox is fun.

My favorite is the Minox III (or IIIs) because it is so small. I am not that good at estimating exposure, so I do carry a light meter with me when I use it, usually.

I just broke my best and most-used Minox B camera. I was advancing the film and the end with the selenium cell just came off in my hand, and little bits and pieces of the meter went flying. I went ahead and finished that roll of Minopan 25 anyway. I need to send that B off for repair now.

I just loaded some Adox KB14 in one of my Minox III and some T-Max 400 in another. Working through them slowly.

25. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had started this threat with the 8x11mm cameras in mind...but either way.....Sounds cool SkipA

26. M. Lointain

M. Lointain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had a Minox B for many years but I never develop the film! I think I have a bag somewhere with a bunch of exposed rolls in it. I know I have a stainless reel somewhere too and if I find it I plan on using the camera more. They are fun cameras. You really can't do anything serious with them but sometimes enjoying photography is more important. I have an Atoron too.

I recently purchased a Minox 35 EL and after sorting the battery issue (I just used 4 544 cells with a paper insulator) I can't believe how good the lens is. I am a Leica and Contax user too just so you know I am not overrating it. I am not a big fan of the guess focusing but for most things it is accurate enough and on the upside, you get an image when you press the shutter which can't be said for most point and shoots. I made one of those arm-length-two-eye-distance-scale things I saw here a while back in case I need it. It is a great pocket camera. I have a bunch of point and shoots and I think the quality of it is about as good as can be had. The only lenses I have seen that are marginally better are in the super premium compacts like the Minilux or the T3. I read that Minox used Leica glass to make the lenses and I would believe it. It does have a bit of the Leica tonality and character to it.