Mirabile Dictu: ILFORD 70mm FP4+ / HP5+

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by keithwms, Feb 15, 2012.

1. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All, I am thrilled to quote our colleague Simon from another thread in which I was struggling to put together a group purchase of film from another company:

Since this announcement was made casually and without fanfare in the other thread, I felt it deserving of its own separate mention. Simon also imparted the good news that this film will be available in shorter, more affordable lengths (presumably 100ft or 30m or so), and will be unperforated.

Let me point out that 70mm backs are plentiful on the used market, and they are very high quality e.g. the Mamiya 70mm back, which has a hand-squeezed vacuum attachment that is very easy to work with. Also, processing this film is not that different from the usual, although it won't fit onto the standard spools and that requires a bit of ingenuity. Let me note also that LF users may find good use for this film in 4x10 backs with inserts- I'll try that myself and report soon.

Also, this film should be very welcome to pinhole users.

Let me encourage everyone to start saving up for this wonderful film, and if anyone has questions about how to use it, I and others will be happy to help.

2. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I will certainly buy some! Maybe even some 2x3" sheet film whilst I'm at it!!

Marc!

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So does the 70mm back turn an RB into a 7x7 format camera?

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, unless you modify the mask you get a 6x7 image. But I will do some mods when I have time and see what I can get. With a dremel tool I was able to expand the frame a bit on other backs.

5. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, without mods, the bigger advantage here is much longer rolls, correct?

6. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Longer rolls, a hedge against price increases, and you get a lot of exposures in a relatively compact back. Plus there are affordable vacuum backs, if that matters to you. The main concern some people have is the thinner base... although I haven't had any issue with it.