Miroslav Tichý - Frankfurt MMK

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Ian Leake, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There's a fascinating exhibition at the Museum Für Moderne Kunst (MMK) in Frankfurt am Main until August 3rd. Miroslav Tichý is a Czech who's been obsessively photographing women in his home town for thirty years or so. He looks like a slightly scary tramp and until recently would apparently chase away visitors to his home with an axe...

His photos are technically dreadful (you have to see it to believe how poor his craftmanship is - he makes holgaroids look like perfectionists!), his prints are dirty and mangled, his enlarger looks like it was made of bits of old wood and tin held together by wire and nails, but...

I found there was something fascinating about his work, and also something a bit disturbing. It's an exhibition that's well worth a visit, especially if you want to see something you'll probably never see again...

Here's a link to the MMK exhbition pages.

Has anyone else seen this?

2. palec

palec Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just returned from Frankfurt and also seen the exhibition. His work is simply wonderful, I haven't seen anything so human for a long time. I recommended to everyone. Some more information can be also found here: www.tichyocean.ch

3. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format