Mirror Advice Needed for Durst F60

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by zsas, Aug 19, 2011.

1. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hey folks, I am trying to get my 1st darkroom built and got said enlarger for next to nothing. The only issue is that the mirror seems to be comprimised, see below:

[​IMG]

So what do I need to do? I have read on 'the net' that I need to go to a glass cutting shop and get a first surface mirror cut for the dimensions I need (about 4X4).

Is it that easy?

Durst parts in the US are next to no where (unless you want to pay way too much on the Bay) and I dont want to "throw out the baby with the bath water" and get a more American enlarger (i.e., Omega, Bessler) since this is perfect else for the mirror, so what do you think? This a easy fix for say $20 US or do I need some special Durst F60 branded mirror?

Best,
    Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think this needs to be a front surface mirror.

A quick simple fix to get up and printing is to put some diffusion material (Rosco Roscolux #116: Tough White Diffusion) in the filter holder and use it as a diffusion enlarger with the existing mirror. It should work fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  3. tj01

tj01 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is the mirror next to the light bulb ? While I don't use the F60, I have a similar Durst and the mirror reflects the light source to the condensor glass so that the light is more 'even'. Which means even if the glass is dirty, it doesn't matter. If u can get the mirror cut, then by all means.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure about that unless the mirror is frosted. I do see the mention to that in the literature but don't know what they are referring to; perhaps that the side of the bulb produces more even light. Since this is a condenser enlarge, I'd presume defects in the mirror will be noticeable in the prints.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011
  5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Durst F60 and F30:
    [​IMG]

6. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    from the diagram it looks like you don't need a first surface mirror, any glass mirror will do it is only used to bend the light 90° onto the film plane.

7. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for all the comments folks! The mirror is not frosted. Just a regular, maybe 2mm think, second surface mirror. It is roughly 4X4, beveled on two of the edges. I am having trouble finding anywhere that has 2nd surface mirrors inexpensively cut to order online. And re-surfacing seems like a lot of work and costly. I called a glass store yesterday and the person about laughed at me when I asked for a 4 by 4 mirror…he was thinking 4 feet by 4 feet…he he.

I have not started printing yet with this, I am trying to decide if I should keep it or get a different enlarger, there are tons of them on craigslist…but I want to 'be green’ and get this enlarger up to speed but am worried that my printing will have uneven light distro.

Some more views of the mirror assembly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any mirror rwill do, thickness isn't important either, it's just a shiny surface to bounce the light off. Ask the glass shop to cut a 4x4 single thickness mirror. No need to scrap a perfecly good enlarger over this.

Bring the block to show the guy in the glass store so he sees how it fits and maybe can compensate the size for the bevel on the edges.

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stuff at the class shop may be too thick. A hand mirror or mirror from a women's compact or makeup case might work with some cutting, which a glass shop or hardware store could probably do.
    You could also try these guys, www.surplusshed.com

10. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an old overhead projector that has a mirror that might be of use to you. I'll PM you later when I dig it out of the attic and measure it.

11. Len Middleton

Len Middleton Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's Much Bigger and More expensive Brother Did Not require a Front Silvered Mirror.

I have a Durst L184 10x10 enlarger with the V184 condenser head, and the two mirrors in that system are both back silvered.

Front silver seems to be a requirement when you are reflecting am image (e.g. SLR mirrors), but not where you are reflecting light before it reaches the negative.

Hence no need for cost and fraility the front silvered mirror...

12. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks Len for the confirmation. I agree this is a back silver mirror. Very thin but not front silver. Agree, no need to waste cash of something that adds no value to the enlarging.

Rick thanks for checking...

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How uneven is the illumination on the baseboard with the mirror like that?

Also, as I had mentioned, a six-dollar Rosco diffuser in the filter drawer can fix it for a few dollars.

14. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just found it, 2-3/4x4-1/2 first surface mirror.

15. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hey folks thanks soooo very much for all the advice. I think I am in production. I went to a local craft/hobby shop and bought a mirror then cut it myself. (Mirror $2.50 and glass cutter $6). I think it works just great!!! The Durst only projects the middle 3.5 inch square, so my rough edges dont affect quality. I am thrilled (I was able to test that by putting a plasic obstacle over the edge and then removing it and the light emitted was the same)!! Thanks so very much for all the ideas.

Ic-racer, I might just order that diffusion anyway, then I can have a psedu-dicroic head per se...sounds fascinating to take it slower!

Rick - As always your kindness to all Apug'ers in a jam is appreciated.

Thanks all others for comments, it was helpful coming to a solution.

I am 95% ready to get this darkroom online!! Whooo hoo.....

I think my current costs are ($10 enlarger, $10 trays, $8.5 mirror fix)....last to buy is papers, chems and 3.5 inch multigrade filters. I am sooo close!

16. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The F60 is a great enlarger. I bought one 35 years ago. At the time, the dealer told me that it had been discontinued and he was selling out his remaining stock). I don't know if I really believe that story, but it makes a great tale at photography gatherings. I used it for almost 20 years. I still have it, and if I weren't doing mainly LF and using an Omega DII, it would still be set up on my darkroom.

The mirror serves only to reflect light from the bulb around a 90deg corner and through the condenser. It doesn't have to be 'first surface', and the thickness is relevant only to the degree that it has to fit inside the housing.

17. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice to see you got the enlarger fixed. Have you printed before?

18. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, printed a bunch of b/w and cibachrome (defunct term?) about a dozen years ago, now finally back in a situation to have my own darkroom!!! The darkroom is very close!

I re-read my Horenstein a lot and following Apug a ton, been preparing for a bit to get back online!

Thanks all for your support. Apug is a great place to come. Really nice community of thinkers. Amazing that some random issue (i.e., my old Durt's fungus filled mirror) can lead to such neat discussions about types of mirrors, glass cutting, diffusion filters...etc. Really appreciate the brainstorm and helping hand.

19. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the baby brother, an F30 tucked away. A handbag mirror should work, or a passenger sun visor mirror from a car. Glass shops will often cut to size for a fee.

A white or metallic surface, if it is even, will work, with the loss of a lot of light. You will get a fair bit of heat on the mirror, so mirror finish mylar is probably out.