MIRROR UP MODE on an RZ-67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by STEVEP51, Dec 17, 2012.

1. STEVEP51

STEVEP51 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PLEASEcould anyone tell me how to use the mirrow up mode on the mamiya RZ67 mk1.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thread moved to medium format and title updated.

3. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You have to do several things - assuming you are using an RZ lens, you need to screw a cable release into the lens. Then, trip the main shutter by depressing the shutter button on the lower right, wait for vibrations to cease and then push the cable release to take the shot. You also need to be aware that you have 60 seconds from when you depress the main shutter button to when the shot needs to be completed - thus if you try to take a 15 second exposure but wait 50 seconds before pushing the cable release, you will only get a 10 second exposure since the main shutter resets after 60 seconds. There is no workaround to extend this time, which is why RZ make terrible cameras for long-exposures - removing the battery will just prevent the camera from firing.

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Really? I never knew about the 60 second rule, is that true for the Pro II models? I could have sworn I've taken a 2 minute exposure before.

Also, wouldn't using the camera with no battery enact the 1/400 second "emergency" fire? On Bulb would that potentially allow longer than 60 seconds? I'll have to experience now if no one is certain.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to the manuals (Pro II and regular RZ67) bulb mode is controlled electronically. So the "60 second rule" applies to bulb mode. To make longer exposures you need to use "time exposure." There's a "T lever" on the lens which must be switched from "N" to "T." That switches the shutter to mechanical control, and you can make long exposures.

http://www2.webster.edu/acadaffairs/asp/mediacenter/Photo/equipment manuals/Mamiya RZ67 PRO II.pdf

6. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I forgot about the T - mine is a little finicky and so I don't use it a lot and tend to forget about it.

As well, yes, if the battery is removed, you can do 1/400 but if you are in a situation where you need a long exposure, that is meaningless. I only mentioned it because I ran into someone once who thought you could override the timer by removing the battery.

8. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well I figured in bulb mode it would override the timer with no battery the timer wouldn't function since its electronic.

However, as a previous poster said the lens has a T mode (timer) and that's certainly what I used to do longer than 60 second exposures.

Problem solved, but I'll be testing it when I get home just to be certain.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

9. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mamiya made a duel cable release. One press locks the mirror, a second press triggers the shutter. They show up on Ebay from time to time and are a little pricey.

10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes but these aren't really necessary ... as earlier stated you can simply plug a normal (and inexpensive) cable release into the lens, then fire the normal trigger which locks the mirror up, then fire the shutter in the lens with the cable release.

It's late, I'm tired, I'll try the T function tomorrow.

11. rhcgn

rhcgn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am certain that those were actually developed for the K/L Lenses on the RB. All K/L Lenses have two cable release sockets, one for opening, one for closing the shutter. You would screw both of the cables from the dual-cable release into the lens, trip the mirror by hand, wait, then open and close with the release. A lot better than having to close the shutter via the dial or the cocking lever which you had to do with the older non-c, NB, and C series lenses.

12. STEVEP51

STEVEP51 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    THANKS kevin your info is a great help ,.stevep51

13. STEVEP51

STEVEP51 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks guys its good to get true info.STEVEP51

14. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well now I'm really confused, I don't use bulb exposure on my RZ, or haven't, and only used T a few times.

Apparently the Bulb option doesn't work in mine, the shutter doesn't stay open when I hold down the trigger on the cable, it immediately closes...

It does however stay open indefinitely when I use T mode, you just have to manually uncocking the T button when you want it to close.

I find this a bit counter productive as this causes slight camera shake when touching the lens, however on an exposure you would need time for, you are shooting for a LONG time so the millisecond of shake while releasing the T lever on the lens is probably not going to affect anything.

However, still trying to figure out why the bulb doesn't work at all...

Mystery... I even change lenses, same thing ... Hmm...

~Stone

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012