Mission Impossible..aaarrrrgggghhhh!!!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Focus No. 9, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Focus No. 9

Focus No. 9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So,there are raindrops on the cactus. I thought I would get a few macro shots. Picked up the Canon T50, inserted fresh batteries and the film won't auto load. Press on the shutter release and the damn thing just beeps at me. WTH. The T70 and I just don't get along. It tells me there is film loaded and I can get 40 shots before I realize something is amiss...ready to throw it in the nearest lake or river if only there was one. So I pick up my Pentax Super load some B&W film and the camera may or may not take a shot horizontaly. I did manage to take a vertical shot (after twelve frrames of whatever) after holding the shutter release for about ten seconds and the beeeping and the flashing viewfinder and shake and more aggravation and it too is destined for the trash bin. I $%#*'ing give up. I was hoping to feel better after writing this but I don't. C'est la Vie:sad:

2. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haul out your FTb or MX. You'll be happy again.

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If only cameras were designed by photographers instead of marketing people.

4. Focus No. 9

Focus No. 9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do have a FTb, but it is in need of a CLA. Not worth it. Time to hit the sheets and waste another day. If only I could see GB play tday. Oh Oh I can see GB today in KC. Life is good again.

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm SLRs are so inexpensive these days. Anyone shooting a lot of 35mm should have a box of SLRs to choose from :smile:

6. Aron

Aron Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is nothing like the reliability of the simple pinhole camera I built... :wink:

7. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Go shoot LF for a few days, it'll make you feel much better about 35mm :smile:

8. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditch the T70. If you must, angle for a T90. It doesn't stuff up.
    Or get back to basics. Get a hulking Pentax 67, and learn to digitally insert film, thread it, roll it, close the back (remembering to remove fingers first!), wind, wind, wind, wind, press the shutter, wind again... So basic and beautiful. Even my much-loved EOS1N is looking decidedly risky now that I've fallen head over heels with a darling of the 1980s...

9. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How exactly does one "digitally insert film"? Just curious :tongue:

10. Jim Rice

Jim Rice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a guess but I imagine with one's digits

11. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With your fingers (digits)

12. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes this ist true, I only have 3 of them, all I payed the full new money back in the analog days, I will never sell them! I do them only use 2-3 times a year so!

Cheers Armin

13. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Modern inconveniences". Get an all manual, mechanical body which accepts whichever lenses you like using.

If there is no water nearby to toss it in, perhaps you could shoot it?

14. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By using all the digital dexterity and patience and finesse you can muster.
    Digital. Made easy. :laugh:

15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If only, but like all consumer goods it's about convincing people who have stuff to be dissatisfied with it and buy more, and I'm afraid if photographers designed them with the practicality s of picture taking in mind and not the gee whiz factor of cameras with nine metering modes that impresses the general public they wouldn't sell many.

16. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few things to try with your T50 and T70:

1) Press battery check button (clears errors on the T90)
    2a) Depress and release stop down lever
    2b) Remove and reinstall lens
    2c) Lock/unlock aperture ring
    3) Open and reclose battery door
    4) Reload film

17. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, the original Leica was designed by a photographer and is solidly aimed at practical picture taking.
    That is also what many people criticise Leicas for: lack of "features"...

18. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Leica has all the features it needs. What it lacks are useless complications.:smile:

19. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You forgot "5) Toss the piece of crap in the rubbish."

20. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eschew complication - get a pinhole or a large format box camera. Then all you need is a watch with a sweep second hand to track the time. Or get a little more sophisticated and get a modern large format camera that takes interchangeable lenses with built-in shutters. Then the problems you're having will never plague you again, and the others that occur will still be infrequent, easy to work around, and in large part, your own fault for forgetting to do something. And there's almost zero depreciation curve if you buy used, so if something does break, it's almost always worth fixing.

If you insist on sticking with 35mm, get something with known reliability, like a Nikon F/F2/F3, a Minolta XK, or a screw-mount Pentax. I'd include my own favorites (Contax 167mt/RX, Contax G1/G2) but the glass is pricey and many folks don't fully trust them - dunno if the reputation is deserved or not - I've never had to get the G's fixed at all, and the one 167mt I had to have fixed just needed the focusing screen clip replaced. I took the Contax SLRs to a lot of challenging environments including tropical jungles in Belize, Thailand and Cambodia without a hitch. The G's have been around the US, to Argentina, Puerto Rico and Spain with no problems aside from normal battery replacement.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2011
  21. Focus No. 9

Focus No. 9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the tips. This film loading malfunction is not so rare. The camera motor may be a fault or the rewind pin is jammed. Merry Holiday everyone! Time for an eggog and brandy.

22. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No machine works reliably forever without lubrication and adjustment all these cameras are more than twenty five years old, if you need reliable picture taking ability you need to have them serviced, just buying other cameras of the same age that also have probably never been serviced is just buying more trouble, all my Canon cameras are about the same age as the OPs and have been serviced in the last two years and still look and work like new.
    I know it costs more than the cameras are worth on ebay to have them CLAd, but that's the price you pay to obtain may years more pleasure of reliable use

23. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ben is right. Acquiring the camera is the least expensive part most often. Keeping it in good working order is a different story all together. It is a true joy to use a camera that is in perfect condition; everything works better, moves better, especially in cold or hot weather.

Take good care of your gear. It will give better results that are more consistent, and you'll have more fun shooting.