Mixing illford paper developer.....

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by cepwin, Jun 29, 2012.

1. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought the ilford paper developer. It comes in a part A, part B. The ilford data sheet says 1pt powder to 3 parts water but doesn't specify between part A and part B. It's the ilford Bromophen 5 litres powder. Part A is a small packet and part B is a large packet. Has anyone else used this??? I'm not sure exactly how to mix this. Do I have to mix the entire thing at once and store it in a big container?

Thanks!

2. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Follow the instructions on the box - It should say something along the lines of
    This will be your stock solution which is then diluted 1 part (stock solution) to 3 parts water.

4. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Got it...thanks!

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To clarify, you don't mix parts of the powders. You mix all of A and all of B with the recommended amount of water, then top up to the final amount.

Powdered chemicals won't necessarily divide evenly if you try to mix partial batches - if you want smaller batches than your package provides, it's best to buy smaller packages.

6. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, that makes sense. Since I didn't have a big enough container to make up the solution (I ordered two 1 gallon containers) I decided to make up the C41 kit which I got today and did a roll of color film. The blix I believe mixes in a similar fashion from what I can tell.