Modern Developing Methods for Prints and Fine Grain Negatives by...

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Edwardv, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I purchased this book by The Edwal Laboratories, Inc, 3rd Edition, 1947 at a camera store junk box still wrapped. What I find interesting are the tips that are given; and these tips have been around for 51 years or perhaps longer since the 1st Edition was published August 1939.

1. To test the "clearing time" of fixer, Edwal recommends that you soak a piece of negative film 3 to 4 minutes first before placing it into the fixer.

2. Use Edwal Kwik-Wet in the developer to prevent airbell holes.
    :smile:

2. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think their wetting agent is called Edwal LFN now. Be careful about presoaking film with a wetting agent - it may cause problems with some films.

I presoak with deionized water only at the same temperature as the developer.

3. Edwardv

Edwardv Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Referring only to the fact that the tips have been around for years and not something that came about in the last 15-20 years. :smile:

4. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What types of problems, Tom? I've used this without exception for over 4 years and with several types of films.

5. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I don't presoak in anything but water, the tap type, it's clean here, I do use LFN in the developer, I have used it in every type of film and used it for at least three decades. My negatives are as good as it gets, never had an air bell or liquid adhesion problems. I use it in tanks, trays and deep tanks with hangers, all of my developer gets the solution. It's one of those items like Spotone that I need. Freestyle has been my source since the '70's.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It isn't recommended to put wetting agent in developers because with certain types of agitation, particularly inversion, it can lead to air-bells is you aren't very careful. Carry over of wetting agent from a pre-soak can do the same.

Ian

7. imazursky

imazursky Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Guys,

I have been getting air bells on the edges of my 4x5's. I am running them in my Phototherm using the 4x5 tubes.
    Earlier last year i shaved the sides down with some sand paper and the problem is better but i still have these small areas of undeveloped film in the rebate area.
    I was wondering if i could use a small amount of Photo Flo 200 in the developer (Tmax 1:5)?

Thanks
    -ian