Modern Speedlite flash on an AE-1

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by ntenny, Apr 25, 2010.

1. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe this should be in "lighting", but since it's basically a question about compatibility with the body I'm trying here.

I have an AE-1 that seems to be in full working order, and a newer Speedlite flash intended for use with the EOS cameras (a 430EX). From the AE-1 manual, it appears that the camera can be used with the Speedlites of its own era in auto mode (shutter priority at 1/60 or slower). Will it work that way with the newer flash as well, or am I finally going to be forced into learning about the mysteries of manual flash?

Thanks

-NT

2. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You will of course have to manually set the shutter speed to 1/60. You won't have any auto flash mode as the 430EX doesn't have a non TTL auto mode that uses a sensor on the flash. You have to use the flash in manual mode with variable power from 1/1 to 1/64 power in full stop increment.
    There is no thing mystery about manual flash. It takes some time for every shot to estimate distance from flash to subject and then set the aperture according.