Moersch SE4 Neutral Paper Developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jacques, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jacques

jacques Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi everyone,
    Did anyone has ever try Moersch SE4 Neutral Paper Developer? Can you give me your impressions about this developer? Is it comparable to Dektol?
    Thank you Jacques

2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jacques, is there a specific direction you wanted to explore vs Dektol? Colder, warmer etc?

I tried SE4 and couldn't really see a difference in image characteristics vs Dektol. Actually that is the conclusion I came to any time I tried different neutral print developers, so I always end up back with Dektol. I believe SE4 has a longer tray life and higher print capacity than Dektol, but then again so do many other neutral and/or neutral-cold developers like Liquidol, LPD, Ansco 130 etc. I personally don't care about tray life since my printing sessions have never been long enough to exhaust Dektol anyway, so SE4 would simply be an expensive alternative.

I did recently buy some SE3 which I wanted to try with MGWT to see if it would cool it slightly vs Dektol, but I haven't had the time yet. My guess is it will look like Dektol :smile:

3. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's Moersch SE6 developer you ought to try with MBWT FB. Results at 1+15 (3 minutes at 68 degrees F or some equivalent combination) are dead neutral. After 2 minutes 15 seconds at 73 degrees F in HARMAN selenium toner 1+9, the perfect (to my taste) slightest hint of warmth returns. I'm loving printing 320TXP negatives on this combination!

4. jacques

jacques Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I don't have any specific reason to switch, I am just curious about the developer.
    jacques

5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    why not try to mix your own. that gives you maximum control over image hue.

6. AndreasT

AndreasT Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like Neutral SE4 alot. It certainly does last long in the tray. I have very, very little experience with Dektol (used it once I think ).
    It gives a good maximum black as far as I am concerned. I have plotted it with Foma 111 and Kentmere VC and it has become my favourite paper developer. Albeit I have not used it with other papers like Ilford till now.
    I could certainly recommend it.