Monthly Shooting Assigment September-October 2011: "Inside Out/Outside In"

Discussion in 'Monthly Shooting Assignment' started by kraker, Sep 1, 2011.

1. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    September. Depending on your hemisphere of residence, summer ends and (depending on your location) fall or autumn sets in. Or winter comes to an end and spring is about to start. Maybe, just maybe, yet other seasons are at play where you reside.

Either way, within the coming two months (which is, by no coincidence, the running time for this "Monthly" Shooting Assignment), the seasons will change. Life moves from indoors to outdoors, or vice versa.

The theme for this assignment is "Inside Out/Outside In".

What I would like to see is pictures taken through windows, through open doors, etc. Pictures taken indoors showing the view of the outside as seen from your living room or any other room. Pictures taken outdoors showing the view indoors of your home, of a restaurant, of shopping windows, etc. etc.

Pictures may or may not reflect the change of season; that really doesn't matter, as long as they somehow fit the description "Inside Out/Outside In".

Use your imagination, and surprise us all. Let's go out or stay in and shoot some film!

2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great theme! (and one I do often) Hopefully I can find some good subjects to shoot for this assignment over Sept/Oct.

3. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool assignment. Will get shooting!

4. barbara ann

barbara ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lovely! I am having new windows (sliders) installed today actually! As soon as they are in, I will shoot from the inside out. And maybe from the outside in!

5. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took this the first day of the contest. Meant to rescan it to get rid of the dust but no time so here it is for now... may upload a better scan.

Polaroid Land Camera Automatic 100, Fuji Instant FP-100B, tripod, full to lighten and a filter over the eye to make up for the strong back lighting:

[​IMG]
    Window summer into fall by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

6. freax

freax Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry, I'm newbie and don't know if it must be taken this month. I've got this:

[​IMG]

7. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, some nice photos already. Good to see the first assignment results.

8. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    MSA Guidelines

For Freax and others, taken from the previous assignment (I assume it is OK to repost this, Matt, Ken), the rules. Sorry for not posting these before.

For first-timers, the following summary of standard procedures should help:

(1) Take note of the MSA assignment, which you will find inserted into the title of this thread.

(2) Take your photo(s) according to the assignment guidelines. Try to shoot something new rather than grabbing from your archives.

(3) You can post your photo in the MSA Gallery or, you can host your photo elsewhere and link to it in this thread, or, you can post it as an attachment to a message here in this thread and it will show as a clickable thumbnail.

(4) It's all for fun, there are no prizes, but at the end of the MSA, I (a previous winner) will choose a “winner”, and the photographer associated with it will have the opportunity to choose a theme for the MSA in a couple of months time, and then choose the “winner” from the submissions.

Additional hints about uploading your photographs...

(5) How to upload if you are an APUG subscriber: As a subscriber you can upload to the APUG galleries. You perform the upload in the same way you would upload to the standard gallery, except you press the "'All subscriber galleries", you find a drop-down menu and press the Monthly Shooting Assignment, that’s it.

(6) How to upload if you are NOT an APUG subscriber: If you aren't a subscriber, you cannot upload to the APUG galleries. Instead, you'll need to attach your image to a post in this thread. Of course, it is a much better idea to subscribe instead.

(7) (For subscribers only) If you start out by uploading to the Monthly Shooting Assignment gallery, the system won't give you the chance to fill in the data fields that all the other galleries offer - i.e. to list the film and developer, location, and the other suggested information. If you like to list that information, just upload the photograph to a standard gallery, and then "edit" the upload. During the edit, you can change the gallery it is stored in - in this case to the Monthly Shooting Assignment gallery.

8) Most importantly, have fun!

9. Bertus

Bertus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not in and not out here.

Attached Files:

10. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm happy to see Bertus interpret the theme broadly. When I said windows, doors, etc., I was contemplating whether or not to add "but don't feel limited to this interpretation of inside out/outside in".

Feel free to give your own interpretation to the theme. Keep 'em coming!

11. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a reminder that we're halfway. I've seen some interesting shots in this thread and in the MSA gallery, and I hope to see some more by the end of the month. Let's keep 'em coming! :smile:

12. alan951

alan951 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just posted for this MSA i hope I did it right, "Intersect of Three Worlds"

Thank You

13. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's visible in the gallery, so you've done right, yes.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just posted a shot I took in late September from a recent trip to Utah, hope everyone enjoys!

16. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A little less than two weeks to go. Just a little reminder to post your carefully or carelessly composed shots, either in this thread or in the MSA gallery. :wink:

18. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last week to submit your inside out/outside in photos! :munch::munch:

19. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I thought I did it right... the submission appears in the gallery.

20. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, that's great. I must admit that I don't check the gallery as often as I check this thread, but I see quite a lot of interesting submissions over there. Well done, all of you!

21. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been inspired alot by this current topic! Thanks for the spark. Is there an upper limit of images per participant? I've gone a little overboard. :whistling:

Looking forward to the next MSA......

22. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have a lot of great images this round Lillian!

I just added a few more from my trip to Macau in September, I think I'm still under the deadline -- it must still be October on the other side of the international date line. Like Lillian, I too was inspired by this assignment, and was constantly looking for opportunities on my travels.

23. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even if you weren't: I won't be too strict on this deadline, don't worry. :wink:

But... this MSA is indeed coming to a close, so if anybody has any photos to add, I'd suggest you do so today or tomorrow.

I can't tell yet when I will do my judging, but I promise it will ultimately be done this weekend (Nov 5/6).

In the meantime, let's see what swittmann has in store for the November-December assignment.

24. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Judging...

I apologise for the delay, but it's finally here: the judging. Nobody ever said judging was easy. It really isn't.

I've seen many beautiful photos for this MSA. It is great to see that you have been inspired by the subject of the assignment. It is also great to see the variety in submitted work.

I've seen photos from freax, alan951, Klanmeister, rmont2, jeffreyq, and multiple submissions from hpulley, Bertus, barbara ann, nsouto, sly and mooseontheloose. Thank you all for participating and delivering great photos. It has been most interesting to see all your photos, and see a bit of the thought-process "from assignment to photo" (which is in some cases very straightforward, in other cases... less so).

I would want to comment on each and every photo, but then the results will be postponed even more, so I'll go straight to my list of favourites, in no particular order:

Intersect of three worlds by alan951. A broader interpretation of the theme, the water being the window that gives a view of another (and yet the same) world.
    Centro Português de Fotografia by freax and Farm Stay Window by sly. These are two great examples of the "classic" shots that I had in mind when I came up with the theme.
    Inside/Out#1 by barbara ann. Another example of what I had hoped to see here. Not as classic as the two mentioned just before, but -if you pardon my saying so- more like a snapshot. The kind of photo that we might all be reluctant to make and to share, "what can possible be interesting about the view of my room, and the view out of my window?". Well, it may not be interesting to you, because you see it every day, but for all others, it's a new view.
    Kiva somewhere on the mesa by Klanmeister. Absolutely beautiful, a stunning shot. Material for National Geographic, if you ask me.
    Have you seen Ms. Ruthie? by rmont2. Saddening (the lost cat) and warming (the other cat) at the same time.
    Outside/In#2 by barbara ann. This is true commitment, getting a whole window replaced just so you can contribute this photo to the MSA. Or, rather, what a lucky coincidence that you were able to get this shot for the MSA.

I could go on and on, there's something interesting in each and every photo. I'm sorry if I didn't mention your photo (or a particular photo of you), but rest assured: I like that one as well. :smile:

Give me a few more minutes while I go through these favorites one more time before making the decision.

25. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And the winner is...

And the winner is...

barbara ann with Inside/Out#1.

Looking back at my previous post, I think I had already decided, unconsciously, that this was my favorite. Seeing as that is the photo for which I wrote the most text. It's been said already there: a "simple" shot (maybe you spent hours setting it up, getting it right, I don't know, but the end result looks very natural), a view of your room, a glimpse of the outside, exactly what I had hoped to see in this assignment.

Congratulations, barbara ann, and good luck coming up with an assignment for January-February 2012!

And again, all of you, thanks for participating!

26. barbara ann

barbara ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kraker~ Great thanks for choosing my Inside/Out#1 as winner of the MSA contest! I am humbled that it was selected from so many wonderful images! The backstory on the photo is this. For years I have had to put up and take down heavy storm windows from this area. I finally was no longer physically able to do it and made the decision to replace the windows. My son and his friend installed them and I was ecstatic with the results! My beloved back yard now actually seems like an extension of my living space. I can watch the seasons change and when it snows I will feel like I inhabit a giant snow globe as the flakes swirl around my "sliders"! As a result of aging, I spend more and more time inside my home. Now I will not feel confined or penalized but a part of the natural world that means so much to me. This joy is what I wanted to convey with my photo and I hope I succeeded at least partially.
    I will now get busy thinking about a subject for Jan/Feb MSA! :D