Monthly Shooting Assignment March and April 2011 - Light and Shadow

Discussion in 'Monthly Shooting Assignment' started by Bertus, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bertus

Bertus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This time an easy Shooting Assignment: Light and shadow. Just choose a striking or nice shade, which is important in the photo. I will upload some samples.
    Good luck and have fun!!
    (I think Zoopolis will complete his jan/feb 2011 assignment Body Decorations soon?:confused:smile:

For any new readers, here's the basic idea of the MSA : (copy)
    1. Take note of the MSA assignment, which will be inserted into the title of this thread.
    2. Take your photo(s) according to the assignment guidelines. Try to shoot something new rather than grabbing from your archives.
    3. You can post your photo in the MSA Gallery or, you can host your photo elsewhere and link to it in this thread, or, you can post it as an attachment to a message here in this thread and it will show as a clickable thumbnail.
    4. It's all for fun, there are no prizes, but at the end of the MSA, a previous winner will choose a new assignment and a new "victim" to lead the MSA in a couple of months time (it's not really monthly ).
    5. How to upload: the same as in the standard gallery, press upload, then push on the "Categorie", you find a drop-down menu and press the Monthly Shooting Asignment, it’s placed under the "Member organized functions" and enter the rest, thats it. If you aren't a subscriber, you cannot upload to the galleries so do this first. :smile: Succes and thanks for uploading.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
  2. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All right! I'll get on it as soon as the sun starts shining.

3. barbara ann

barbara ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting topic, Bertus! Your examples are wonderful. Hope I can do as well...

4. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ooooh, nice!!!!!
    Got a few ideas already!
    Thanks for the starters, Bertus.

5. Bertus

Bertus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yet six weeks to go for light and shade, I'm very curious what comes...

Attached Files:

6. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to Zoopolis I never did get any body mod photos taken (still haven't) but light and shadows I shall be able to do!

7. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bertus,is it to late to join in on this MSA,sounds like a really interesting subject to me.

Mike

8. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Bertus

Bertus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    MSA March-April.

You've uploaded this perfect in the MSA March-April. Very easy:cool: and let them coming!

10. kraker

kraker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stumbled on this page via the "New Posts" link. It's been a lo-o-ong time since I participated in the MSA. I'll try to shoot and post something this time.

11. Bertus

Bertus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yet five weeks to go for light and shade MSA! :whistling:

Attached Files:

12. barbara ann

barbara ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am having such fun with this topic! Suddenly I see shadows EVERYWHERE! I am wondering, do we need to include the object that is making the shadow in the image or is the shade itself sufficient?

13. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bertus's example above is just the shadow, so I don't think he'd mind.

Yesterday was sunny, so I was out for a walk and a few shots. So wonderdul to have spring sproinging.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Bertus

Bertus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just do what you like it: objects with shadow, only the shadow. You can use a lamp and make the shadow to yourself! Here is an example with eggs. :smile: Shadow-b.jpg Shadow.jpg And thanks for your message!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
  16. barbara ann

barbara ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK. I shot a whole roll of Ilford and sent it off to be developed. (Ashamed to admit I don't do it myself, but I do make my own prints.) Hopefully there will be a couple that I can post ! This is one reason, believe it or not, that I like film. I have to wait 10-12 days to see the results! Gives me something to look forward to. Also, it makes me a more careful shooter when I know I can't just delete the bad ones!

17. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot a whole roll of Ilford and then develop, stop, fix and wash it in 25 minutes so I can see it right away :laugh:

I can cut out the bad ones, they fall onto the cutting room floor :D

18. barbara ann

barbara ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting! But I don't shoot on a regular basis so the chemicals expire and it can get pricey to keep buying them. Also, I can't judge just from the negs which ones are "keepers"! I have to see the print. You must have a very good eye!

19. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No shame, please. Everybody has to work from where they are in life. Regardless of whether you send them out by necessity or desire, the fact that they get done is what counts.

When I first started getting back into photography after my nest was empty I sent everything out to begin.

I'm just delighted that there's enough demand that Ilford can even offer the service. So far as I know they are the only film manufacturer offering processing too. Kodak hasn't done in-house processing for a long, long time. And I cannot think of any others who offer it as a service.

20. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Barbara Ann - Rodinal!! It keeps for decades. HC110 concentrate has got a pretty long shelf life too. I've got indicator stop bath that's got to be over 10 years old, and I think fix is pretty hardy too.

Years ago I used to buy Ilfosol in little 500 ml bottles and always ended up throwing away at least half of it all dark drown and nasty.

This advice, of course, is offered on the premise that you miss developing your own.... if not - just do what works for you. It's all about having fun with photography.

P.S. Look forward to seeing your photos for this topic. I just developed some film last night shot with this in mind.

21. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, HC-110 and DD-X are my secret though I easily go through over 20L of working solution in 6 months so I really have no trouble using it up. Same for paper developer though I wish I could use the capacity there, I'm so slow at printing that it oxidizes before I can really use it up!

22. barbara ann

barbara ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interesting! I never knew Ilford would process film. Can you tell me how to access their service?

23. barbara ann

barbara ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dear sly and hpulley~
    Many thanks for the info! I am SO isolated from film photographers (even though I curate for two small art galleries) that I don't hear about other methods for developing and printing. Folks look at me funny when I announce I only use film. But the jokes on them as they will never know the glorious feeling that comes when that image begins to appear in the developer tray!

24. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Around here no one has done real optical enlargements for years so I have to do it myself! I print B&W and color in my basement and develop the film too as the labs here are slow and do a poor job on film these days. If you complain about the quality they just suggest you shoot digital sadly as that is most of their business these days, digicams and injket printers which just don't give me the results I want (or the process I want to use either).

25. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Less light and shadow, and more trick of the light, I wish I could say I processed this myself, but this is a Dr5 slide, I wanted to see how the background would be affected by metering on the light bulb. I found out that it would go away completely.

[​IMG]

26. Bertus

Bertus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice to see that you have worked on the topic, I wonder what else is coming!
    - Bert