More new toys...

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by TheFlyingCamera, Oct 10, 2007.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also arriving today, four new Shen-Hao wood 5x7 film holders to test. When I get them in my hot little hands, and have a chance to put some film through them, I'll post a review here.

2. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your review would be helpful. I cannot decide whether I should get the wooden Shen-Hao holders or the soon-to-be-released-but-don't-know-when Fotoman plastic holders. I have never used wooded holders, so I am not so sure of the Shen-Hao holders. Are wooden holders usually heavier than plastic ones?

3. Harrigan

Harrigan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I heard from someone that their new Shen-Hao 5x7 film holders leak light. I would like to hear if you have the same problem.

4. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Sunny side up

Well the first test would be to load em up and lay them out in the sun, turn them over after about ten minutes or so, stand on each end, then process film. That ought to nip it in the bud.:smile:

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can weigh mine tomorrow but they don't seem heavy. If I had to guess they are lighter then my vintage 5x7 holders.

I haven't had much time to check for light leaks. But then outside of these my newest 5x7s are maybe 40 years old :tongue:

6. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got home and opened the package. So far, they seem extremely well-made. very high quality finish, with the light traps attached via screws, so if they do go bad, they can be serviced. That's a big plus right there. They don't seem to be substantially heavier than my plastic holders. The tape on the hinge is some kind of vinyl tape, which I'm not sure how well it will hold up to use, but that's not a big deal as I have bookbinder's tape that I've used to repair other old wood holders. I'll test them out this weekend for film fit.

7. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am curious as to where you source bookbinders tape?

8. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

You should find it at an arts supply shop.

Greetings,
    G

9. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got mine at Utrecht art supply. You can also get it from Light Impressions or Pearl Paint online if you can't find it locally.

10. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok- update on the Shen-Hao film holders. I loaded them up this morning, and they load smoothly. The darkslides pull easy but they're not loose or sloppy. Tonight I soup the film, and we'll see how they turned out.

11. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok- final update. The Shen Hao film holders are great. No light leaks, easy to load, smooth darkslide operation, and very nice fit-and-finish. They did have a strange plasticky odor when I first got them and opened the ziploc bags they came in. The odor is fading. The only thing I can attribute this to might be the varnish used to protect the wood.

12. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the update.

Best wishes,
    Sanjay