More questions about B&J 4X5 film holders?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Brad Bireley, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Brad Bireley

Brad Bireley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are all the 4x5 film holders the same. If not what do I need for the Burke & James 4x5 Press?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They're pretty much all the same in terms of compatibility. The only notable exception are Graflex-type holders, which are wider and have a different light trap arrangement and have slots on the side, but these are hard to find, and there are Graflex holders, which are not Graflex-type holders. If you accidentally buy some, you can sell them easily.

If you're interested in other types of filmholders like Quickloads, Readyloads, Grafmatics, etc., take a look at Paul Butzi's website, which has a couple of excellent articles on this subject.

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's just a spring back. Anything that will fit a spring will fit.

4. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can not say about the B & J cameras, but I have heard that the Riteway holders are supposed to have problems with the Linhof Cameras. I have never used a Riteway holder with my Linhof, so I can not comment that this in fact a problem.

Rich

5. derekh

derekh Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a Linhof Kardan and have never noticed problems with my Riteway holders.

6. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Except Grafmatics. The cast recess of the back is deeper than normal and the overhang of the leading end of the Grafmatic will cause it to ride up out of position.
    Chauncey