More than 36 frames?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Tony-S, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can get 38 frames from a 36 exposure roll with my Canon A-1 and F-1, but my Canon A2E winds to 1 and rewinds after 36. Is there any way to get those two extra frames from the A2E?

2. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You may be able to open the camera back in the dark without rewinding the film. On some cameras that resets the film frame counter.

3. unclemack

unclemack Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think I remember that the EOS 5 (in the UK) used torque-sensing to detect film end - if so the extra 2 frames are wasted at the beginning during loading, not at the end of the roll.
    It's been a long time though so I could be wrong.

4. imokruok

imokruok Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just getting 36 isn't the worst thing in the world...my stupid archival sheets only hold that many.

5. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have PrintFile 35-7BXW preservers that take 7 strips of 6 negatives/slides. It would be nice to squeeze out those extra two frames.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Nikons only allow 36 exposures. When I had Minoltas, I regulary go over 36 slides on a roll.

Steve

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So you will lose 2 frames, no big deal.:D:D:D!

Jeff

8. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nothing wrong with 36 exposures, My retina 1b, as do all folding retinas,locks at 36, where my other cameras go beyond 36, but I stop at 36 as I always found that the extra exposures were almost always not much good, Richard

9. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can do better. I get 75 shots from a 36 exposure roll. But I'm using a 1/2 frame camera :smile:

10. st3ve

st3ve Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I get over 9000 frames from a 36 exposure roll.................

When I don't properly load the film. :sad:

11. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once damaged my Minolta X-700 by trying to squeeze extra exposures onto a roll of film.

12. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Precisely the reason why I limit myself to 35 frames per roll.
    Let's worry about what's on it, not how many we can get out of one roll.

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only shoot 36 exposures in my Canon T90s because it has auto rewind and there's no option, in my other SLR s I only shoot 34 on a roll to avoid pulling the film out of the Cassette that's worse than getting an extra frame or two.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My auto-rewind Pentax will give me 37. It seems to me that Pentax was over cautious when ensuring that enough film is taken up at the start to avoid any possibility of attempting to expose on film which has already been fogged during the initial wind-on.

However at best Pentax if redesigned smight squeeze another 2 frames out of a 36 and quite frankly I'd rather stick with 6x6 strips than have a 7th strip with only two negs on it. Besides which my Paterson contact frame will only take a 8x10 paper which is designed for 6x6 contact prints only.

pentaxuser

16. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What Nikons are those? All of mine (and I have a lot! ... FE, FM2n, F3HP, F4S, F5, F70, N8008s, F90x, F100) let me shoot to the very end of the roll.

Only the manual-wind Nikons let me start shooting before frame 1 (the F3HP won't let me meter until frame 1 though).

I used to start shooting at frame zero (and occasionally do, especially on unimportant test rolls) but frame 0 is dangerous to shoot since it might be fogged. Frame 37 is dangerous to shoot because some labs will cut it in half during processing. (Dwayne's in Kansas, the last Kodachrome lab in the world, is such a lab.)

17. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like to have at least one frame's worth of unexposed, clear film left on the strip after developing. If I am going to scan the film, I will use that frame to calibrate the scanner for the film base. It's either that or else I have to try to calibrate from the edge or from the space between frames.

18. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    So, the consensus seems to be: Don't be a cheapskate. Just pop in another roll of film.

19. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too!:D

Jeff

20. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's Kodachrome.

21. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definitely stop at 36 then. There's a significant chance you'll lose frame 37 during processing.

22. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have shot the 37th frame on several recent rolls of Kodachrome but Dwayne's will not guarantee that they will not cut the film in the middle of the 37th frame.

23. CanonShot

CanonShot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Out of curiosity...What happens to the frame counter when multiple exposures are taken with various manual cameras. Will the counter exceed 36? Will the film automatically rewind at 36?

24. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I understand the question: if you press in the rewind button before winding the film (so that the film does not advance, and you can take a second exposure on the same frame), what happens to the frame counter? On every Canon I've owned, the counter does not advance if the film does not. So it doesn't go to 37 just because you took a multiple exposure frame.

Duncan

25. Obtong

Obtong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi. I had an A2e. There is a little sensor that counts the sprocket holes on the film and after a preset number of sprocekt holes are counted, the camera sets itself to frame 1 and is ready for shooting. If your film is longer than 36 exposures, it will take them. So, I think your options are:
    1. Load your own bulk film longer than 36 frames, or
    2. Somehow fool the camera into starting 1 or 2 frames earlier. Perhaps you can try adding some scrap unexposd film (with sticky tape) to the film leader to make it longer. I'm not sure if the sensor counts the top sprockets or the lower sprockets.

Good Luck,
    ~Dom

26. Shawn Rahman

Shawn Rahman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I feel your pain. Clearly, the only real, failsafe solution to this problem is to treat yourself to a Leica M. This is what I did, and now I regularly get 38 per roll.