most compact 120-camera

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by maarten m, Feb 12, 2011.

1. maarten m

maarten m Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    so what do you think is the most compact 120-film camera around?
    i know the holga/diana but are there any others?

thanks,
    mm

2. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One of the many folders, which are small enough to fit into your pocket. Such as these:

http://www.certo6.com/

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Fuji GS645 folder with the 75mm lens isn't exactly huge.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have a few mamiya 6 folders
    they are tiny and can fit in a pocket ..

5. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Super Ikonta A is quite small for a 120 camera.

6. agfarapid

agfarapid Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might want to try one of the Zeiss Nettars. Very compact, fairly cheap ($30 to $75) and nice image quality.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well not compact, some of the TLRs are not bad.

Jeff

8. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mamiya 6 folder or similar. There is an older Fuji folder that is very compact, I don't recall the number, maybe gs645 or such that CGW mentioned.

The "modern" Mamiya 6 has a collapsible lens attachment; it is quite compact and great for travel; I often take two of them and all three lenses and put them in a small bag. Altogether the kit is actually more compact than a typical 35mm body + 3 lens kit.

The newest fuji folder is compact but pricey.

9. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i saw a kodak tourist a few days ago that was pretty small
    the only thing is it took 620 film ( almost 120 but not quite ) ...

10. maarten m

maarten m Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    wow! so many answers in just a few minutes ...
    i should clearify my quest: i have TLR, and VH ...
    folders are okay, but when unfolded, not so much any more.

i'm more looking for something that easily fits in my coat and doesn't need hours to prepare before taking a shot :D
    just take it out of the pocket, take a shot and gets back in.

thanks,
    mm

11. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Voightlander Bessa 66, form 1938, and it is smaller than most 35mm cameras, even 35mm folders, yet takes 6x6 negatives,Richard

12. jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if you can find a graflex or other brand roll film back
    you can make a hyperfocal superwide angle camera
    that is barely bigger than your roll back ..
    ( like a p/s camera but better ) ...

13. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Nettars. Some models of the Ikonta (not 'Super') are as light (er, stripped down) as the Nettar but come with Tessar lenses -- however, the standard 3-element Novar lens on the Nettar is surprisingly good.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dunno, my Isolette folds up and slips in my back pocket, and opens at the touch of a button. It doesn't take but a couple of seconds to set aperture and shutter speed aim and shoot. If you have a good working feel for exposure you can even do away with a light meter.

16. polka

polka Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The prewar 120 folders are indeed most pocketable, they open "click" and close "clack", but then you have to manually transport the film, set the aperture, speed and distance, and cock the shutter before shooting. Does it take "hours" ? For me, I like them, and have always one in the inside pocket of my ski-suit (preferably, either a 6x9 Super Ikonta or a 645 Rodenstock "citonette").

Paul

17. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was on a similar quest until recently, with the added demand that the lens has to be faster than f3.5. I finally got, and am very pleased with, a Solida III with an uncoupled rangefinder, and an 80/2.9 Schneider lens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawhead/5278831077/

It literally fits in my jacket's inner pocket, and pretty much goes with me everywhere :smile:

18. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IMO folders are not that bad to open and close, at least no more complicated than a ready case is to open and close. My other 120 camera is a Pentax 6X7 and I will tell you that given the choice I would rather unfold a pocket camera than lug the 6X7 around, the pocket-ability and light weight far outweigh the picture quality sacrifice.

19. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get bigger pockets...then a Hasselblad.

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 1935 Certo Dolly SuperSport with a Zeiss lens is an example of a small folder. It has a coupled range finder and can shoot 6x6 or 645.

Attached Files:

21. agfarapid

agfarapid Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you could use one of the Fuji GA645 cameras. They are autofocus, rigid (non folding) and compact. Expect to pay between $400 to $525 for a GA645 wide angle with 60mm lens, auto focus & exposure. Excellent optics and quick. You might even consider the GA645zi, I believe that's the one with a zoom, auto focus & exposure in the same price range. I have the Fuji folder and a Nettar myself which meet my needs for size & portability. Good luck on your quest for the perfect camera!

22. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Perkeo II. Small and awesome. Not as sharp or contrasty as a hasselblad, nor the one I reach for when doing serious work, but perfect for travel and fun shots. In the last year I used it more than any other camera (rolleiflex, hassy, 4x5, F100 and XA2), because it's the one I'Ll grab for any weekend with friends. Take your time looking for one. They're often broken in one way or another. Ken Ruth at Bald Mountain is great for CLAs. I'm not a fan of Certo6, but he does have many satisfied customers. Best of luck.

Leo

23. phirehouse

phirehouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ha ha, love it...

24. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agfa Clack? Weighs almost nothing and easy to use. Not super-compact, though, kinda squarish, need fairly roomy pocket.

25. Alastair_I

Alastair_I Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ensign Selfix 820 Autorange special, very nice folding 120 with a choice of 6x6 or 6x9 negative (must be decided before loading the film). I have the older and less sophisticated 420 model as a drop into a pocket MF camera. The 820 could perhaps be considered the pinacle of MF folding English cameras. The Autorange version tends to command a premium.

26. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alastair, you're mad. Completely mad.

I have a Selfix 820, plain vanilla without the rangefinder so not as high as yours. It won't fit in a pocket. It is a monster, is not in the running for "smallest camera that shoots 120 film." Its only virtue is that it shoots 2x3. The highly touted 105/3.7 Xpres is nowhere near as good as the 101/4.5 Ektar I use on my 2x3 Graphics. The UK doesn't have real mountains, that may be why you see a camera that doesn't stand tall as "the pinnacle."

For a pocketable camera that uses 120 film, I concur with the posts recommending the Bessa 66 (made until 1949, I think, the one I gave away was post-WW-II) and its successor the Perkeo. My Perkeo II, again plain vanilla without the IIe's uncoupled RF, goes easily into a normal pants pocket, more easily than my Retina Ib. Nice camera, a joy to use. Mine has a Color Skopar, said to be a good lens. Not mine, I've never got a satisfactorily sharp shot with my very congenial little Perkeo II. The late Charlie Barringer had one like mine, told me he'd tested its lens carefully and found it to be not very good.