most pleasing out of focus area: nikon 50mm lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by darkosaric, Sep 9, 2009.

1. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I noticed that all my 50mm nikkor lens (I have 3 of them + 55mm micro) are not so nice in out of focus areas like 105mm/2.5 lens.

Which 50 mm lens for nikon you would recommend that will give best pleasing out of focus area?

thanks,

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    you don't mention what the fstop of your 50 mm would be. THe more wide open the better the chance you have you get the bokhen you may be looking for; different lens will give a much different look which is what your finding.

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any f stop. I just want to be more pleasing. It can be manual lens, old lens, new lens (but not G lens, it is for nikon F3)... not necessary nikkor... I am just wondering are other people also not satisfied with 50mm out of focus area, or it is just me :smile:
    I know that everybody loves 105/2.5 out of focus area, but for 50mm there are not so much story's :smile:

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think what you are describing is what the Japanese call "bokeh", and that seems to be the word photographers are using in English for it, too.

The Nikon 50s don't have exceptional bokeh. The best option is probably the Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 that is available from Contax. It comes in Nikon mount. If I recall correctly it has the electronic contacts (effectively making it an AI-P lens) so it should work in all modes except for autofocus.

5. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, I like the bokeh of the 50/1.2. Nice and smooth. On the flip side, it isn't that sharp and contrasty to begin with.

6. dnk512

dnk512 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Nikkor 105 f2.5 is one of the best on the topic. Love it so much I own 3 of them. I dare say that NO 50mm of any brand will ever match it on the out of focus rendering. Same for flare control and overall image quality. I own several normal Nikkors, too, none is *great* on bokeh. From what I own (50 f1.8, 50 f1.4, 55 f2.8, 45 f2.8), the 45mm f2.8 is the better one on bokeh. However, the 50 f1.4 is my overall favorite for what I shoot. I read good comments on bokeh about the 50mm f1.2 (mentioned above) and the 50mm f2.

7. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with dnk512. The 105 is excellent (wonderful for head & shoulders portraits). The 50/1.4 is not that bad either.

8. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Darkosaric

I was asking about the fstop to see how open your shooting. The wider the better. However, as several others have mention there are lenses that will give smoother bokhen

9. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have nikkor 1.4 but old one, nikkor-S, non AI (converted to AI). I am not so satisfied with out of focus area in that one. I mean - it is not bad - but not beautiful. Maybe newer 1.4 will be better (I have new 1.8 AF D, is new 1.4 similar to 1.8 in this issue)?
    I took a look on ebay: nikkor 1.2 and Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4 are about 500$. Not so cheap, but again not sky high expensive also...

10. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The 50mm 1.2 probably has the most pronounced bokeh -- the 1.4 isn't bad either and either are about as good as you will get at that focal length. (I've used both, but not the Zeiss mount for Nikon)

11. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The older 55 1.2 and the 58 1.2 Noct ($$) have a nice look, I like it, but that is in the eye of the beholder.

12. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd look for a Leica R 50mm 'cron modified to a Nikon mount (easy mod to do, and they come up on for sale from time to time). It's a nice 50.

13. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For out of focus rendition I like the 50/2 HC, 50/2 'K' and 50/2 AI Nikkors.