Mounting a 7-1/2" Kodak-Anastigmat No. 33

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ntenny, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I have this neat old barrel lens, a 7-1/2" f/4.5 Kodak-Anastigmat No. 33. There's a fair amount of information to be found on the No. 33 lens; it's a Tessar type and seems to have been one of Kodak's staple lenses in its day, so I have reasonably high hopes for it as a user.

But I need a mounting flange. I've measured it with calipers, and it seems to be very close to a 2.5" diameter, 30 threads per inch. In other words, it looks like it might be the same as the standard 2.495x30 mounting of an Ilex No. 4 shutter. The flange for which conveniently is a stock item at SK Grimes.

Before I drop the money on a flange that may not fit, can anyone confirm or deny that this lens will mount in place of an Ilex 4?

Thanks

-NT

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2009
  2. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used hot glue on mine:smile:

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll bet someone at SK Grimes can answer that question. :D

But hot glue is a lot cheaper!

4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, a helpful APUGger stopped by today with the correct flange and some interesting toys to show off, so I'm set. You know who you are; thank you!

If I ever acquire a lens in an Ilex No. 4, I'll check the flange to see whether the fit really is the same.

-NT

5. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The No 33 is a wonderful lens. Mine is screwed into a piece of masonite and I have a betax shutter that fits on the front via an aluminum tube that slides over the front of the lens. I bought it that way on ebay and I love it for portraits on 4x5.