Mounting a shutter to front of Brass Lens

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shangheye, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there any reason I can not fit a large shutter like an Ilex Universal to the front of a Brass lens? If the shutter is of a suitable diameter, I could have piece of wood or metal machined to screw it on to then slip the wood sleeve over the end of the lens...seems obvious...so surely there is a flaw? The only issue I see is that the shutter blades would be exposed, but that is true with a Packard too.

It would mean I could have shutter speeds from B to maybe 1/100s.

Please let me know what you tink.

Rgds, Kal

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It has been done before.
    Depending on the lengh of the lens you could have vignetting a bit and you will have no aperture of the shutter ofcourse.

Remember that the oldest shutter is the lenscap, than the hat and pinholers use a shutter in front aswell.
    Check one of the advertizers here with their wooden pinhole camera's.

Peter

3. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two shutters, a Betax and an Acme, that have aluminum tubes attached to the rear - meant to slip over the front of a lens. At least that's how they were supplied to me and how I use them. They work fine as long as you don't vignette the image.

4. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assume that the larger the shutter the less likely the vignette..thanks for the feedback guys...this may be the route to go. Peter, I can manage slow shutter speeds, but I have no aperture control on the lens and so need the ability to get highre shutter speeds.

Rgds, Kal

5. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kal, putting a large ACME or ILEX shutter on the front or back is fine and like you said, the larger the better to avoid vignetting. Also, ND filters will become your friend! What I did when mounting my packard onto my petzvals was gaffa tape a Cokin P filter holder on the front. It's helped immensely as I only have the one shutter speed with the Packard when using in auto mode. I would love a larger shutter to give me more control, but not sure I have lenses suitable for shutters other than a packard.

6. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Andrew. I thought I could use the front thread of the shutter to screw in a suitably sized filter...e.g. a skylight to protect the leaf shutter from the front..or an nd as you suggest. Now I need to find a suitable shutter!

Rgds, Kal