Mounting/Retaining ring for Graphex 135mm Optar? Wollensak

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MacReady, Jul 26, 2013.

1. MacReady

MacReady Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Folks,

Sorry to start a thread just for this but all the information I can find is to do with slip on filters.

I've lost the original retaining ring from when I borrowed a lens and I'm struggling to work out what size I need. I saw something about how they didn't stick to standard sizes so I'm not sure.

I'm hesitant about buying the wrong one because of how long they take to arrive, I want to get shooting!

Cheers

J

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
  3. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In the meantime, if you are truing to mount a shutter on a lenboard, you might run a bead around the threads from a hot-glue gun to hold it in. It can later be cleaned off pretty easy.

4. wombat2go

wombat2go Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here is a photo of the ring and spring for that lens, from a year 1955 Speed.
    The minor diameter of the rear of the lens (before the thread starts), is 1.290 inch

Attached Files:

5. MacReady

MacReady Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks folks.

The stupid thing is, I didn't even use the lens that I borrowed. I might have to follow Tom's advice for the mean time and hope that it turns up. Spending 35 dollars + air mail on a lens worth 50 dollars is painful. If I'm reading that Grimes table right, at least.

Cheers

6. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The 135mm f4.7 Graphic Optar is mounted in a #2 Graphex shutter. The SK Grimes web site lists a retaining ring for the #1 and #3 Rapax shutter but not the #2. Graphex is Rapax renamed.

7. Farside

Farside Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm also on the lookout for a retaining ring for a Graphex no2 shutter. Why do people throw them away?
    With the number of these that were produced, there must still be thousands kicking around in kitchen drawers and nobody knows what they're for. Otoh, there must surely be enough of a residual demand for them that jinfinance or some Chinese supplier on ebay could start knocking them out until demand is satisfied. I'd immediately buy a couple of them. Jinfinance, for example, sell Copal-sized rings for as little as $10 and free shipping, to boot. Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure all the Copal rings he's offering are metric and won't do.

8. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I recently bought a 135mm f4.7 Optar in full sync Graphex shutter. It arrived with a factory mount flange.
    The shutter mount threads are 1.325 inch 40 Threads Per Inch the same thread pitch as listed for a Betax #2 on SKGrimes site.

9. Farside

Farside Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a notion they might co-incide with old cycle threads, as used in some areas, like steering head or bottom bracket jam nuts. Unfortunately, I no longer have any old bikes of that vintage.

10. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep an eye out for a nonfunctional/ugly #2 Graphex or Rapax shutter on eBay... or a complete lens in sad shape. You can probably find one for $20 or less delivered. Just make sure it comes with the flange.:wink:

11. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Junior, Senior, Winter, Regular, Automatic, Optimo, Studio, Auto, Ultro, Betax, Gammax, Deltax, Alphax, Rapax/Graphex, are shutters made by Wollensak.
    Many most likely share the same case specifications.

12. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I searched and found a spare mounting ring here for a Graphex #2... then I realized... I think the 135mm Optar is in a #1 shutter.

13. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  14. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My mistake... my spare flange is misfiled... it's for a #3. I forget things these days.

15. Farside

Farside Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Unfortunately, the Wollensak range of shutters are relatively rare here; the total mish-mash of retaining ring sizes is dominated by the German makers of the era.
    Occasionally, luck strikes, and I found an old enlarging board mounting ring that's a perfect fit for the Prontor Press shutter that houses a 210 G-Claron, but no such luck with the Graphex so far.

16. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, I too leave my shoulder separator sitting and forget where I left it. :smile:

17. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I have one @ 15.00

Jon