Mounting Tape

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Thomas Bertilsson, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I am, for the first time, about to mount some prints, and have so far acquired the cutter, mat board, frame assortment (built from parts). Now I need mounting tape, and wasn't sure what to use.
    I have familiarized myself with the technique of anchoring, using four pieces of tape. I will not dry-mount. Seems like too much of a hassle, and questionable permanency (photo archive at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts).

What kind of tape should I use. All mounting tape I've ran across is some double-adhesive type, and that wouldn't work well with anchoring.

Thankful for advice.

- Thom

2. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lineco Self-adhesive linen tape is widely available in art stores, or Dick Blick on-line. There are other options - some people prefer the gummed version or other manufacturer's products - but this does the job.

3. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    By anchoring, do you mean hanging with T-hinges? Or taping down folded paper corners. For hinging the mats, I like the tyvek self adhesive tape from Light Impressions. To mount the print, I use their self adhesive corners.

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I mean using t-hinges. I live in an area with insane fluctuations in humidity between summer and winter (85-90% summer, 15-30% winter, I live in Minnesota), so the prints will expand and contract wildly seasonally.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the Lineco tape.

- Thom

5. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Recommended to me was thin first aid tape as the adhesive doesn't dry out. In Seattle the humidity goes from wet to wetter.