"moved" threads

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Donmck, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So, what happens to these threads that are "moved"--

are they only for "special people"?

2. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes: for people who know where they are moved to.
    Oh, and for those who come across it, in that place, by accident.
    :wink:

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Threads that are moved get a temporary redirect for those who are following them, so if they are not where you last saw them, there should be a link in the old forum that usually lasts for about a week. After that, try the search engine.

If they get moved to the Soapbox, which includes the "Gloom and Doom" subforum (the likely destination of threads moved from the "Product Availability" forum), then they are subscriber-only, and they are shielded from search engines.

4. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some are moved to a forum called "The Soap Box", which subscribers have access to. There are various reasons for this. Basically it's not the kind of subject matter we want new members exposed to or google searches, it can send a wrong impression about the community. The soap box is somewhat of a pressure release valve for controversial topics or "dead horse" topics we do not feel belong in the general forums or even the off-topic lounge forum. Also, at times we have had members who practically never did anything on APUG but live in the soap box posting there all day. Having it subscriber based was one way to ease them to other sites which may be more suited to their needs.

5. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "You
    forgot to put your boots on!" they exclaimed, pointing and laughing. We
    acknowledged our folly and joined in the merriment. After a brief
    exchange they passed on ahead, still laughing and chattering gaily. We
    cracked up, too, as we reconstructed their conversation for ourselves:

"Imagine letting people like that in here!"

http://www.netfuture.org/2001/Feb0101_117.html#1

"You
    forgot to put your boots on!" they exclaimed, pointing and laughing. We
    acknowledged our folly and joined in the merriment. After a brief
    exchange they passed on ahead, still laughing and chattering gaily. We
    cracked up, too, as we reconstructed their conversation for ourselves:

"Imagine letting people like that in here!"

6. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sean

are you on the internet ,or off?

Q.G.--we don't need any elitist punk crap

7. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW there is a moved thread regarding Plus-X that was moved from this forum and when I click on the link, I get a message that I co not have permission or something along those lines. I am pretty sure I am still a subscriber! However, when I look in the soap box forum, where I expected to see it, I do not see any doom and gloom forum. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

8. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Paul--

Your not one of the elite ---neither am I

9. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
  10. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    David --
    speculation and misinformation is for US to decide---not you or Sean or any other moderator to decide--

I still have no access

11. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry, it was clearly revealed in the thread that there was a fair amount of misinformation posted, and we have information about some of the posters that is not public, so sometimes we have to make a decision to squelch misinformation or even to ban people who post misinformation for commercial gain, when that bad information could have a negative effect on the availability of materials that many of us use.

The Soapbox is a subscriber area, so non-subscribers have no access.

12. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    David-
    no one posts more "misinformation" than Kodak--(it's called Marketing)

so I'm calling--BS ---here"s the decision you should make--- give everyone access--we're not as dumb as YOU think

13. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately, I have no access to the link you posted. Perhaps there is something amiss with my account? Strangely, I do have access to the soapbox itself. Strange. Sorry to keep this thread going, I happen to think it is fine to make a decision regarding what information is publicly available on a forum and support the soapbox being behind the subscriber wall.

Donmck, subscribing is inexpensive and gives you access to the galleries too, so you would get something of value in addition to being able to see the threads that end up in the soapbox.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And when you show up at a privately owned diner that states "shirt & shoes required" do you tell them that is for the customers to decide?

16. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul I think there is a glitch at work here. Can you point me to the forum holding the redirect link? I will login as a test user and fix the permissions error. Thanks!

17. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Paul-

If that's the way you want to go, I'm all for it ,and I will cheer you on, but don't forget
    that there are alternatives--

and I am one :>)

18. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's not just about what APUG members can see--any member who subscribes should be able to see what is in the Soapbox--it's about what gets picked up on search engines and spread across the internet. We're pretty easygoing about what people can post on APUG, but if we allow unlimited speculation, then we're being irresponsible.

Paul, I suspect it's more likely an issue with the permission settings on the thread or the forum than your account, if you are able to access the Soapbox, but can't get to this particular thread. The thread doesn't seem to be deleted as far as I can tell. Sean would have to look into that.

19. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I follow this link: http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86730

I get a permission error.

Same here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum177/86730-plus-x-125-may-discontinued-some-formats-regions.html

...although I guess they are linked to the same place.

Also, is there supposed to be a "doom and gloom" forum? I do not see that forum anywhere in the soapbox or elsewhere. Perhaps it is incorporated in the soapbox, I don't know.

Not that this is all that important, but when I can't see something that subscribers can see, it gets me wondering. :smile:

20. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ah yes--

private

21. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Freedom of speech exists on the internet insofar as anyone can create their own forum about anything they wish. It does not mean that anyone can post anything anywhere.

22. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a subscriber, happily so. I was looking for the Plus-X thread. I can't access it, either by the link in this thread or by clicking on the Plus-X thread itself. So perhaps the link is broken? Or some coding isn't recognizing who is a subscriber?

-Laura

As an aside, I think one of the posters has been unjustifiably rude to the moderators in this thread and should reconsider that tone. I'm happy to live under all APUG rules; I love the forum. I also love Kodak films and am rooting for the company. I would never want to hurt them. However, if I can say this kindly, it seems perhaps to be going overboard to take this interesting thread from public view. Unless it has been proven false, which I find puzzling, since Kodak was quoted as confirming the information. I think one of the services APUG can provide is early information of this kind. Perhaps instead of deleting the thread (as it appears to me, since I am a subscriber and have no access), perhaps any information that moderators have hinted about inaccuracy could have been disclosed by being posted in the thread itself? And any offending posts removed? Would that perhaps be a different option that could have worked? Because I'm now confused about the status of Plus-X. It might be better to clear up the misinformation on the thread, so people know what's going on with the film, mightn't it? I ask respectfully and without criticism.

-Laura

23. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    We peasants want to keep track of what's going o on with PX125n-- this is my forum about what's going on with px125--

do you want to take this off-line David?

24. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    speculation and misinformation ?

do you mean like not bothering to even get in touch with kodak
    via email or phone and just post whatever one wants ?

yeah, there was 18 pages of that :whistling:

25. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    INS-

you are so much kinder than I can ever think ob being

26. Donmck

Donmck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    of--