moving towards Leica MP

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by pluto, May 31, 2012.

1. pluto

pluto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    after many years I'm entertaining the project to sell all my Nikon system (F6, F100, wonderful lens) and move to absolute essentiality. My interest is for Leica MP. I'd appreciate very very much if anyone generous using Leica MP, could describe reasons, feeling, utility, results, love......anything but technical subject.
    Thanks so much,
    Joseph

2. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Joseph,

did you ever had any M Leica? Maybe for start you buy some cheaper M body like for example classic M6 - and see is this for you?

On the other side: I have M6 and M3, and reason why I have got myself a Leica is because I can afford it, I wanted to get best 35mm tool for street, and because life is too short for compromises :smile:.

First I got M6, but since I use 50mm most of the time - M3 was next logical choice because it has more accurate frames lines and bigger viewfinder.
    I like M3 more than M6.

regards,

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would agree with mambe starting with an M3.

Ian

4. pluto

pluto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks,

about shortness of life I'm absolutely with you Darko, without any "but" without any "if". This acts as a mainspring in my life.
    I never used a Leica M and time is arrived.
    What about MP? Why didn't you consider it?
    Joseph

5. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used an M6 as my main camera for years. I like it a lot and have no complaints. Once or twice I have tried a friend's MP and it is a wonderful feeling camera. Shutter noise is much quieter than the already quiet M6, film advance is beautifully smooth and the viewfinder is also superior. It won't take better photos than an M6 and will probably cost double, but I can understand why someone would want one.

6. cableguy55

cableguy55 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was using M2 then M6 and CLE and recently bought a MP
    Buttery smooth and a gem of a camera

7. cableguy55

cableguy55 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was using M2 then M6 and CLE and recently bought a MP
    Buttery smooth and a gem of a camera

8. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was just too expensive and not so different than M6. But if I would have unlimited budget I would consider MP with 0.85 finder - it is closest thing to M3 and it can be bought new.

9. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pluto, the attraction you have for this utter simplicity is your way of making the camera be but an extension of your eye, nothing more. There is a comfort level here that cannot be denied. But plain facts, also, cannot be denied. The days (daze?) of Leica being the best recorder have long passed. You just might be in love with superior build and the alluring thought of holding such supreme mechanics in your hands.

The truth be told: a K1000 or an SRT will deliver equal results for less than 1% of the price. Many have a need to justify the USD 10000 expense (5000 body and 5000 normal lens) in lofty, 'aesthetic' 'bokehtic' terms...but the naked, hard truth does not necessarily conform to mere truisms (socially 'accepted' truths). And for close ups there is a decided disadvantage with not using SLRs.

I would simply love to own an MP, which I consider to be the zenith of mechanical build. But sex appeal holds caveats as well: dropping the camera, hitting the lens, losing the whole thing. Remember, distant planet Pluto, I think that the handsome Leica passport is no longer offered, or, maybe is has simply been diluted in scope. I would look into that factor carefully. $10,000 is a lot of money to go on a joy ride with or, for your more immediate situation in Italy, 7000 Euros. - David Lyga

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  10. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this guy hit the nail on the head in regard to Leica's and their corresponding glass.

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1346141

11. martinez

martinez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to mention the switch from Nikon Fs to Leica Ms - There is a definite learning curve.
    The focusing is reversed (clockwise versus counterclockwise) - sort of like switching from a Nikon to a Canon.
    I find that framing and focusing is more of a challenge with the Leica (if you've been living in the Nikon F-world).
    The other issue is metering. If you'll permit me an automotive metaphor - if you compare metering to transmissions - the Nikon F100 is a Toyota Prius and the Leica MP is a vintage Ferrari.

12. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's hard to give any rational reason to buy an MP over a M6 (or M4, M3). After all, they are all basically the same camera.

But, if you want an MP, buy one. Life is too short to wonder "what if?''

BTW, I own an MP and a M3.

Jim B.

13. segedi

segedi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An M6 is a fine camera that can take Leica and Zeiss M mount lenses, so it is true that you can make wonderful captures, but it is not an MP and does not feel like an MP in operation. The only thing I dislike about my MP is that it does not have the larger shutter speed dial of the M7, which makes it slightly harder to operate.

I've had a K1000, and numerous Canon SLRs and DSLRs and for me, none of them match the quality of images that I get from Leica + Leica or Zeiss lenses. The SLRs also don't have the pleasant shutter sound, especially at lower speeds. When compared to digital, nothing matches the simplicity either. Holding the camera will further persuade you to own one, it's small but solid, the feeling of quality.

You will undoubtedly get a variety of opinions, most I suspect trying to convince you you are unwise both fiscally and emotionally. But from an actual MP owner, I can advise you that they are correct. And that it does not matter, as you will appreciate the MP. If you do have the funds, consider the a la carte program so you can customize the MP and make it yours.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My thoughts:
    1. I prefer manual/mechanical cameras.
    2. I have used Leica but never an MP.
    3. For a long time, I have wanted to own a Leica MP.
    4. The MP is such a beautiful and expensive camera that I would want to collect it instead of use it. Therefore, I would be more inclined to get a user camera such as an M2 or M6.
    5. My two “must have” Leica lenses are: 35mm f/1.4 and 90mm f/2.
    6. I own a Nikon system.
    7. I really appreciate the dependability and reliability of the Leica and Nikon cameras I have used.
    8. I could never exchange my entire 35mm Nikon SLR system for a Leica rangefinder system; however, I would use a Leica rangefinder camera in addition to my Nikon system.
    9. My manual/mechanical Nikon F2 with 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 lenses perform so well for me that they prevent me from economically justifying their replacement with a Leica MP equivalent.

My suggestions:
    1. If your interest in the MP is as a collector, sell the Nikon system to generate the cash needed for the MP.
    2. If your interest in the MP is as a user, get the MP but keep the Nikon system for a few months before you get rid of it. This will give you the time needed to determine if the MP will be able to replace your Nikon system.

16. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you are going to get then get a black paint or even an alacarte, the BP fast wind crank really sets it off.
    2nd hand ones scuffed up are cheaper, and the brass showing really looks good

Noel

17. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, I've owned M2 (chrome), M3 (chrome and BP), M4-P (black chrome -- eurgh!), MP (BP), and used M6, M7, M6ttl. For me, the MP is the nicest of all (especially with the Leicavit), followed by the M2. I don't like M3s (wonderfully smooth but no 35mm frame, no meter, strange rounded frame corners) and I sold my last one years ago. Between the M2 and the MP, viewfinder flare has been a problem for me

Does this mean I'm wrong and M3, M4 and M4/6/7 owners are right? No. Does it mean they're wrong and I'm right? No.

Everyone has their own priorities. Choose yours. No-one can really do any more than tell you what worked for them, often on the basis of not having tried very many Leicas, and sometimes on the basis of never having used some of them very much.

Cheers,

R.

18. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ive been monitoring prices for while on M2, M3, and M6's for quite awhile, as of recent there has been quite a big jump, especially noted with M3's where they averaged ~$500 on the bay completed and ~$550+ BGN or needing a CLA on Keh, now they are going for ~$800-1000 at both places which is crazy for about the same condition, and only within the last 6 months is this happening at this rate.

19. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I own 2 MPs. Not different then any other M, not particularly better. I much prefered theM4-P framelines and VF, for example. However, the MP is Black paint and both my cameras show brassing all over and that's priceless. I shoot a lot and I always have a camera with me. All the scratches in the Paint finish is something that I really like for the look and also because it's extremely personalized: My MPs are mine and I shall pass them on to my kids. I'd never say that about any other camera.
    Also, another feature of the MPs Black paint finish is that it sticks in your hand. The whole shooting experience is great. Yes, a Black Paint M2 or M3 or M4 would be the same (price-wise as well as experience-wise).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  20. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Beautiful, n'est-ce-pas?

Attached Files:

21. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, Pluto, unfortunately I impart what is called 'tough love'.

I know Pluto had his heart set on his wish being confirmed. But I might have saved him some future misery. 'Leica' today is not merely a quality camera that is was back when the Deutschmark was worth only 25 US cents (pre August 1971). NOW, of course, that currency does not exist but the value of the Deutschmark when the EURO was introduced was over one US dollar!! And, when the Euro was introduced the Euro was worth 89 US cents! Despite the financial turmoil in Europe that Euro is now worth about USD 1.30! As far as the Pentax K1000 not being able to deliver the image quality that a Summitar can deliver, I do beg to differ.

Folks, German products are ridiculously expensive because the US dollar is so weak. You are now paying for the name and the fantasy. And that does not necessarily produce quality photographs. Japan 'solved' that strong currency problem by outsourcing the manufacture. (Germany and Angela Merkel, please forgive my indiscretion.) - David Lyga

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  22. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi again Pluto,

don't ask yourself MP or not MP - ask yourself which viewfinder magnification you will put in your MP a la carte order: 0.85, 0.72, 0.58 ... :smile:

Just go for it!

cheers

23. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speaking of Leica, there are ridiculously expensive, even when you pay in Euro :D

24. pluto

pluto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thans so much.
    I've read and read again all your posts and, of course, any decision has been taken.
    Now, why should one decide for a MP rather than a M7? Of course, again, I beg you to avoid any technical subject
    Joseph

25. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personal decision on your part. Do you want the camera to determine exposure for you automatically (M7)? Or would you prefer to do it yourself (MP). Maybe try both cameras and see what you prefer?

Jim B.

26. Too old to care

Too old to care Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both a K1000 bought new in the mid 80's, and a M6 bought new in the 90's. I seldom use the K1000, although it to works great. That said, I recently found out how well made a Pentax MX is and would take one of those for a fraction of the cost of a MP, or even an M6.