MP meter NG under -3 C.

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Roger Pellegrini, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Roger Pellegrini

Roger Pellegrini Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My MP meter doesn't work under -3 degrees C. (26+/- degrees F). The indicator light and the arrows in the viewfinder just disappear. Once I bring it inside and it warms up, it works again. Is this normal?

Roger Pellegrini

2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it dies over a period of a few minutes then the most likely cause is the battery is getting old doesn't like cold weather anymore.

Try a fresh battery.

3. Jon Butler

Jon Butler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you tried new batteries?
    JON.

4. Roger Pellegrini

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Okay. I'll try a new battery. But the one in there now I just purchased three weeks ago. I guess it could have been on the shelf for too long. The only thing is, the battery icon doesn't come on. There are just no meters lights. And when I bring it back in and it warms up, everything works well.

5. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Roger;

A less likely possiblility is a contact that pulls away when it is cold. With older equipment, this can be an uncommon problem. I have used an electrical multimeter in conductivity or "ohms" mode and sprayed some "Freeze-Mist" low temperature cooling spray on parts and pieces to try locating this kind of a thermal intermittent.

Try the new or different battery first. Taking something apart and hunting for an intermittent is never fun. There is a reason why we referred to these kind of jobs as "dogs."

6. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    by any chance, does this have an LCD display? I have a Luna Pro for cold weather, as LCD's response times slow down and eventually stop working altogether in cold weather.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem is due to the laws of physics battery's at very cold temperatures will not give out any power, it would be a good idea to see if Leica make a remote battery holder you can keep in your pocket as many camera manufacturers do.

8. Roger Pellegrini

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hope its just the battery

Thanks. I will try the new battery first and hope that is the problem.

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    -3 C is not that cold. I don't have any cameras that work at 20 C but won't work at -3 C. They will even work at -30 C (although not for long).

LCD displays work down to very cold temperatures, although the update speed slows down significantly. Still, at -3 C such a display should work normally enough that it would be useful.

10. Roger Pellegrini

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That's what I was thinking. I am hoping it is just the battery (although I just put a new one in 3 weeks ago) and not something more serious.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if the battery contacts are corroded or dirty, they add resistance, and will make the entire circuit less efficient. The problem may be a combination of cold and less than optimum contacts.

I think it is worth checking.

Matt

12. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I never walk into a B&M store and purchase camera batteries anymore but do so through one of the on-line services. I have had batteries from B&M stores be degraded right out of the box. The large on-line suppliers seem to have a good turnover.-Dick

13. sbelyaev

sbelyaev Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You have to turn MP OFF when you don't use is, otherwise it drains the battery very quickly.
    Another way to go is not to re-cock the shutter after shooting if you don't plan to use the camera for some time.

14. Roger Pellegrini

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That's good to know. I will purchase a new one online.

15. Roger Pellegrini

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The battery shows no signs of being drained once the camera is inside and warm.

16. Roger Pellegrini

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It must be the contacts. I have tried three different batteries and the problem persists.

17. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah I would say it's not normal. My M7 and M6 have been in colder temperatures and never had a problem with power.

18. budrichard

budrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    High temps have been 10F here lately and I've been out with both my M7's, one with Motor M and one with Leicavit and both function perfectly.
    Batteries, corroded contacts adding resistance or a contact contracting due to cold, as stated, are all possible causes.-Dick

19. Roger Pellegrini

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I just got off the phone with Leica Techhical Services in NJ. They are telling me that the MP meter does not work at -3 degrees C because the battery gets too cold. Unbelievable!