MPP 5x4 monorail lens board

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by and36y, Mar 10, 2008.

1. and36y

and36y Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have finally decided to get my old MPP Monorail back into the lime light as its been skulking in a trunk for some time now. I am going to have a new set of bellows made and collect a set of usable glass for the front. the question I have is.... The lensboard is about 4x4" with a inward turned lip. Are there any other manufacturers that make the same style lensboard, or am i restricted to trawling through ebay after original mpp's?

Thanks

andy

2. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy,

I have an MPP Monorail, but not at hand at the moment. 4x4 seems a little too small. I think it is the same fitting as a Sinar/Horsman monorail, ie 139mm square.

Barry
    ps I had a new set of bellows made for it some years back by Camera Bellows. They needed the old bellows frames.

3. Malcolm Stewart

Malcolm Stewart Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think ffordes may have a Sinar lens board listed.

4. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have (only) the back standard for an MPP 4x5" monorail. The bellows fitting seems to be a 155 mm square. The standard has a 7 mm wide channel running all around about 4 mm in from the edge (obviously, the bellows must have a matching rib). Assuming the front of the front standard is the same, a Sinar panel at 140 mm would be too small. It looks as if cutting simple squares out of 3 mm duralumin would not be too hard.

Regards,

David

PS: The back standard could be available for little money if anyone's interested!

5. Malcolm Stewart

Malcolm Stewart Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My MPP monorail front standard is 175mm square with slightly chamfered corners. The front surface takes a Sinar lens board with no problems, and I found Sinar easier to obtain than MPP. The bellows "socket" on the inside of the front standard is 155mm square, so there's plenty of room.

Cheers,

Malcolm

6. numnutz

numnutz Member

Hi - I have an MPP lensboard that came with an Angulon 90mm I purchased a year or so ago.

Dimensions are 3 15/16ths inch square with a hole to suit the lens 34mm diameter, (sorry about different units but its the most accurate way for me to describe it). It has a 1/4inch rebate around on the back. It is grey on the front with MPP engraved top right as you look at it.

It is fairly well used with a few slight chips around the lens hole but nothing that would prevent its use.

I don't need it so If you want it please mail me. If you would like the lens as well 90mm Angulon f8 let me know.

I am in the UK in London so can meet to exchange or whatever, PM me.

numnutz :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  7. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the 3 15/16ths lens board was probably made for the MPP Field Camera?

Barry

8. Malcolm Stewart

Malcolm Stewart Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sounds about right for the MPP Microtechnical Mk VI / VII lens board. The Mk VIII lens board is smaller (3.75", 95mm sq.) with rounded corners.

See:
    http://www.mppusers.freeuk.com/lensboards.htm

Cheers,

Malcolm