MPP enlarger help?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Síle, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Síle

Síle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for some advice on my MPP enlarger as regards filters. There is no filter drawer on the head and so far as I can see,
    no way to attach one. Later models of the same enlarger, had a filter drawer built in to them, but mine is, unfortunately, too early a model.

What I'm wondering is can anyone see a way of attaching a filter to it or see of a way I can adapt the head in some way.
    I've attached a photo of the head complete with lens and the enlarger.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Síle

Attached Files:

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  3. Síle

Síle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Keith thanks a million, that looks like it could just solve my problem perfectly!

Síle

4. marco mcgrail

marco mcgrail Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi there, I have the same enlarger, this is the part you're looking for. If you look on the bottom of the focusing ring, it connects to the small aluminium plate, which in your photo is a 3 o'clock.

tripod 2 4.jpg

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Along with Marco's part you will need a length of rod that screws into the tab sticking out the side of the lens stage. The filter gizzy slips over the rod and is held in place with the screw. I haven't seen an MPP rod but it may have grooves cut into it for the point of the filter set screw to ride in or it may be the rod pivots in the lens board tab.

As Marco's photo shows, this filter arrangement was made for swinging a red filter into the light path. You would have to remove the red filter and then attach the Ilford filter holder to the MPP filter gizzy. The Ilford VC filter set includes a red filter that slips into the filter holder.

I never had much luck with getting Ilford's filter holder to hold on to the lens - the plastic screws it uses are just too weak. If you can, get the Kodak holder - it uses metal screws [and is better made in general]; I drilled small holes in the snout of the lens for the screws to nest in and then the holder worked very well.

6. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to have one of these - a 6x6 model with a glassless carrier where the slit top hinged up. I put above the lens filters on top of the carrier, where they were about 5mm above the negative. You need to keep dust off them, but it worked.

Graham