MPP lens advice.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Keith Tapscott., Oct 30, 2005.

1. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently bought a MPP Mk VIII camera outfit with two Schneider lenses, an old 150mm Xenar & a 90mm Angulon f/6.8 (Not Super-Angulon). I have just bought a spare lens panel for it as I would like to add a more modern lens like a Schneider 180mm APO Symmar-S or similar. What I was wondering was, will I be able to close the camera up when I have finished using it the same as I can with the Xenar lens?
    Also, would someone suggest a good focusing loupe that is not too expensive?
    Thanks.

2. HPorter

HPorter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Keith,
    I have a MPP Mark VI and I definitely cannot close it with my 210 Symmar which is the closest that I have to your 180mm Symmar. Of course the 210 Repro Claron allows me to fold the camera easily. The longer plasmats might not be a good idea if you want to carry it with the lens mounted.

I envy you, the Mark VIII has the revolving Graflok back. That is a handy feature. These are great cameras, though a bit heavy to tote around. I had Camera Bellows make me a new set of bright red bellows for mine which really make it look sharp.

I doubt it is the best, but I have a Toyo loupe that has a longer barrel on it that lets me focus with some of my older speed graphics with the non detachable focusing panels.

And though you probably already know this, http://www.mppusers.freeuk.com/ is one of the better resources for information on these cameras.

Good Luck!

Harold

3. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for replying Harold,
    I am hoping to use the camera for the first time this week, I don`t see the point of having two 150mm lenses so I will probably opt for a slightly longish standard of 180mm. Perhaps I will have to carry the lens in a seperate part of my camera bag if it will not close properly.
    Thanks for the link, I actually bought the camera from MPP book author Basil Skinner who lives approximately 60 miles from my home in south-west England and the camera is in very nice condition.
    www.photoresearch.org/mpp

4. HPorter

HPorter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you for the link to the MPP book. I did not realize that one existed.

I carry my lenses that won't fit in the camera in one of those padded lens wraps that close with velcro. So far, I have not had any trouble doing so.

I am sure you will have a great time with your new camera. Enjoy!

5. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agree with previous posts that you cannot close the MPP with a modern "egg-timer" lens fitted (of any focal length). You could do this, however, with an older 180 Xenar or with a lens that I own and have found very useful, the 210 F6.1 Xenar. This is modern, has been specially designed to be compact and fit into a #1 shutter (hence the funny max. aperture) and is physically no bigger that the 150 Xenar you already have. A really neat lens that covers 5x7" with some movements so has lots of coverage for 4x5"

6. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi !
    I can't tell for the lens, but you can make a very good and cheap one by using a 24x36 projection lens and a plastic tube.
    I use a Rollei plastic projection lens I bought for a 1$ approx of 85 mm focal lenght and f: 2.8 dia. I used a carton tube to find the proper distance from the GG, and made a PVC tube this lenght.
    This way, if I loose the lupe or break it in the field, I won't suffer.
    The main advantage is that the plastic tubing prevent light to enter , so you may save the dark cloth, and can use the folding flap as a shade.
    I had a Peak succion lupe wich can be "glued" to the GG helping tweak with the various movements both hands...
    Hope this helps !